Making master/slave HD drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock0

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I am currently in a predicament that i am sure you guys will beable to help with ;).

Im thinking of making my old 80 gb hd(IDE) as the master, and my new SATA 250 GB as a slave. So how would i make my SATA a slave drive and my IDE the master? Since my SATA is a master drive at this moment.

Also, i have installed XP Pro on the SATA Drive, and i already had XP Home Edition on my IDE Drive . My mother board is a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131517). If that helps at all.

I hope to get some responses, and any help is welcomed. Thanks in advanced!

Well you will have to take out the HDD and look at the back where you will see 4 sets of 2 pins.. A jumper will be alreay on one of the 4 sets of pins... Normaly just above is a diagram showing the master and slave options...

look at the back of the IDE hdd. you will see a bunch of pins and a jumped on them. look at the diagram and make sure its set to master on the primary channel. im not to sure about making SATA slave, but if its master on primary than the CPU auto. assumes that the SATA isn't the master. im guessing that...i'm about 70% sure on this.

Damnit. Well heres the update:
I managed to change the master/slave drive i wanted in the bios(and changing the connectors). Well when i have it set i save and it restarts and when it gets to logging in, it says "Windows needs to be activated now." So i click y"es" and it asks to confirm online so i click "yes" again, and it is doing its thing, but then it says it is the wrong product key for my old hd, that has already had a OS on it....

I'm thinking that since i bought a desktop comp package awhile ago(my old hd that i am trying now to make work with my new comp), it only works with the motherboard it was purchased wiht :(.

So i need to know: Is there any way to use a hd that you bought on a desktop package on another comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom