Making an 80G Hard-drive run on a P1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpellSword

Solid State Member
I've got an old P1-200 running Win98 sitting around that I wanted to upgrade with a stronger/larger hard-drive, so I went out and bought and 80G drive. However, the old machine can not detect the large drive and doesn't get past the bios part of the startup sequence. (At least, I'm pretty sure that's the bios part.)

I've heard that if I partition the drive into smaller pieces then the bios will be able to detect the drive and all will be well. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure how to do that, although I do have ‘some' experience running a partition program called: Gnome Partition Editor.

I've been told that if I halve the drive into two partitions of about 40G each then it will run.

My queries in summary are as follows:
1) Can the P1 running Win98SE run the larger hard-drive after it's been partitioned?
2) How do I partition it, preferably using Gnome Partition Editor.
3) Is there anything else I should know?

it might not still detect because it always thinks as a single drive in BIOS but is that an IDE? old motherboard don't have any SATA slots and probably won't even recognize in the BIOS as it probably won't support that. Do you have the motherboard's make and model? that might help a bit out.

The drive I'm trying to add is a 80G Western Digital, Model: WD800JB - 00JJC0.

As for the motherboard, I don't know. How would I find out? I know it's probably written on the board somewhere, but what am I looking for?

The motherboard is very old, so if age is a problem then that's probably it. If that is the problem, is there a work around?

computers that old will only see 137GB on the drive no matter what size it is

edit: ya 80GB should work if its ide

I've been told of a work around where a PCI IDE HD controller card is installed and the HD is run off of that. Because the controller card has its own BIOS, it can see much larger drives. Plus, these cards are supposedly very cheap to buy. :)

I think this is what I've been told about... but I'm not sure:
Disk array controller

CPU-Z looks like an interesting program. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I haven't had time to set it up on my P1 yet, so no word on the board's specs.

CPU-Z Links:
Official Site
Wikipedia Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom