low budget multimedia rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xandrex

Baseband Member
Hi,

I am currently in charge of the technology dpt at our church which has a small congregation of only about 100 ppl. We would like to be able to:

have multiple video displays including a clone to a projector
record audio from the sound board
record video from a camcorder
audio/video editing
CD/DVD burning

As you can imaging our budge is low and I've mentioned what I believe to be only the necessities. Also, I've read some suggest to use separate systems to handle the audio and video recording. comments?

One system will handle it. Record on the camera and off-load it to the computer afterwards, record the audio directly to the computer. You could use a separate system, but what would be the point unless you just wanted to have it? You can use either a cheap graphics card for dual outputs or a splitter (GFX card would be cheaper).

I see a lot of churches that want to use a laptop, but that's a big mistake as far as I can tell. A desktop should be used in the sound/media room. If the pastor wants to use a laptop, let him; give him a few flash drives to use to transfer his PowerPoint on.

A decent pre-built would serve your church, or you can build one. Try this one:
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System
Bump it up to Vista Home Premium, 4 gigs of RAM, add the 3450 and the firewire options. Drop the pre-installed anti-virus crap. Ask for someone in the congregation to donate MS Office (most versions have multiple licenses with them) and install your own AV. It comes with a 19" LCD and will still have another output for the projector. Install some codecs in it and you could show DVD movies. ;)

Since it has a C2D in it, it will be very able to handle your video needs as well. You would be well served to invest in a good sized external drive to store the media on in addition to burning it off. it comes with a 250 gig hard drive, but Dell's prices are too high to justify upgrading it through them. The only reason I suggested bumping the RAM when you order is because they will install 2x2gigs.

Hi Trotter, thank you for the reply with all the helpful suggestions. I must say I do enjoy building PCs way more than prebuilds, but they both have their pros and cons.

What is C2D? You didn't mention upgrading the video card and the integrated one does not support multiple displays.

C2D = Core 2 Duo. intel's current main chip seris.

The 3450 is a graphics card offered as an option for that model. I have it in the changes I would recommend for the computer.

If you build you can probably get pretty much the same options or better for the same money. If a member has an extra monitor they could chip in it would save you that much more.

duh! I see it now. thanks for the patience.

I'll see about shopping around for parts and maybe putting something together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom