Looking to upgrade - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Looking to upgrade

When you purchase Windows basically all you're buying is the key. If you get a BSOD when trying to run your current install you will need to reinstall Windows. You can run up to 30 days for free and after that you'll need a key. When you buy a key you just activate Windows and it unlocks your machine. The key on the sticker is locked to that specific motherboard. If the current install won't work then that key won't run on the new rig.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Alright, that makes sense. I'll leave buying Windows until later, for now I'll just try the repair install and see if that works. If not, at least I still have that 30 day window after I format everything.

Thanks again for all your help man, if I think of any other questions before I order everything I'll ask them here, shouldn't be more than a couple days before I place the order.

Ausaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
Build Guru

Yea you don't need to repair the install if it boots up. If it doesn't I don't think a repair will fix it.

Sent from my Z740 using TechForums

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Alright, everything but the GPU arrived yesterday, and i'm going to hook everything else up now and see if it all runs properly. Even if it doesn't, i've gotta wait a few more days for the GPU anyway, so it'll give me time to format the HDD and start getting everything set up how I had it before.

Once I get everything plugged in i'll post how it went on here. Hopefully with the functioning computer and not my tablet lol.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Ok I got everything installed in the case now, but when the bios comes up it doesn't pick up my hard drive. If I check in the bios it says all sata ports are empty.

I think thimight be because i'm trying to use a SATA 6GB/s cable with my SATA 3GB/s drive, or would that be a problem? I see plenty of info on the web saying 6GB/s drives work with 3GB/s cables, but nothing regarding the compatability of a 3GB/s drive and a 6GB/s cable.

This is the only issue i've run into, and I can't find out if I will need to format the hard drive if the machine won't pick it up in the first place lol.

EDIT: The reason i'm trying to use one of the 6GB/s cables that came with the motherboard is because the 3GB/s cable that was already plugged into the drive is too short to reach the ports on the new board.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Im an idiot... didnt have power hooked up the the HDD. Attempting to boot now.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Windows failed to boot, letting it attempt a repair install now, but i doubt that will accomplish anything in the end. I'll give up and just reinstall the OS before too long lol.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
True Techie

Thought i might add my two cents. I have in the past called the Microsoft support center and given them my key and told them i upgraded hardware and they cleared it up for me. In that case i was legitimately doing an upgrade to the machine i bought the license for, I got an error message and it wouldn't let me activate windows after the clean install with new hardware. Only took a 5 minute phone call and they unlocked my key and let me activate. I always buy a license for each machine i work with so please don't think i'm advocating trying to trick MS. I'm just telling you that they have in the past unlocked license keys after an upgrade (even for an OEM license).
the1truegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Hm, that's actually good to know! I have my clean install finished now, and I can finally use my computer again after putting all the new hardware in.

Once I finish installing and updating all the drivers for everything, I will give Microsoft a call and see if I couldn't get them to allow the factory key to be used with the new MOBO.

Thanks for the tip friend, if it works you just saved me at least $100!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
Build Guru

I wouldn't really say anything about the machine just being a pre-built. I'd start the conversation off with something like "Yea I did an upgrade to my PC, and was just wondering if I could get my key activated" ect. I wouldn't tell them it's a pre-built unless they ask (which they probably will).

Access to my Plex PM me.