Looking for a new pair of hard drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
To set up RAID, yet I have no idea wtf I'm doing.

Should I be getting SATA, or is the regular ATA okay? My mobo is MSI K8N Neo4 for what it's worth... I just went to back up all of my music and music videos onto a DVDRW, and realized I'd need a truckload of DVDRW's to back up everything.

I don't know the different types of RAID or whatnot, so I'm just taking a stab in the dark here. Someone told me RAID 1 would be most ideal. Ehh?

Get SATA as with PATA both hdd have to be on the same cable, so they share the bandwidth, and also, they one harddrive can read or write, one can't read and the other write at teh same time.

RAID0 is both harddrives combine to make one big one, with a increase of speed. RAID1 is where there is a mirror of the harddrive on the other one. and then there is the rest 5,10 etc.

Stick with WD or seagate as well, they are the most reliable.

Also, with RAID0 if one hdd failes then you lose all the data.

Dont go with maxtor HD's whatever you do. I have had nothing but bad experiences with mine. Got a seagate HD going on two years old as my backup drive (gets a lot of use) and it runs fine...never had a problem with it.

bigstanklo said:
Dont go with maxtor HD's whatever you do. I have had nothing but bad experiences with mine. Got a seagate HD going on two years old as my backup drive (gets a lot of use) and it runs fine...never had a problem with it.

Slight exageration here... I've had dozens of maxtor hard drives. They're all reliable. Bad luck contributes to anti-Maxtor sentiment. :) If you feel like saving a buck, I wouldn't be afraid to go with maxtor.

Ryan

bigstanklo said:

I actually am very happy with my Maxtor hard drive. Sorry you had trouble, but everyone I speak to BESIDES these forums says Maxtor is a pretty good brand. And I'm not talking typical teenagers who read PC world, I'm talking about relatives of mine who work at the Pentagon with this kind of stuff. Maxtor is simply a biased thing on these forums, which is sad but hey... it's not hurting me any. Granted, I own a Maxtor and love it!

Though I probably will go with WD or Seagate, but only to try something different since all I've had is Maxtor... we'll see what happens though.

Ultra ATA is PATA, the same as the DVD drives. As said before, RAID doesn't fare well with PATA as it shares the bandwidth.

Trifid said:
Ultra ATA is PATA, the same as the DVD drives. As said before, RAID doesn't fare well with PATA as it shares the bandwidth.

So more or less, you CAN set up RAID with PATA but it's like trying to win the 24 hour Le Mans race with a Pinto, eh?

I doubt I'd ever fill up 80 gigs, but I'd prefer to find something at least 100-120 gig for each drive. Then again, for 50 bucks a shot, I really can't beat it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom