Looking for a new case? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Looking for a new case?

This is not an attempt to sell you anything BTW...

For a while now I have been complaining about the relatively poor quality of one of my older cases - the silverstone TJ-05. I bought this case a little while ago for about 70-80 as I remember and I have a few complaints about it.
1) When it arrived the plastic mechanism to keep the door closed was already broken (and I blame this on the manufacturing quality).
2) The front facia is huge and made of metal which made the case unnecessarily long, unnecessarily heavy and very front heavy. Combined these factors made it difficult to pick up and move.
3) The HDD bay is rotated to the side presumably to make it easier to load HDDs. Unfortunately it also places the rear side of the drive too close to the case's side panel meaning you have to use very small SATA connectors or right angled SATA connectors or a different interface altogether.
4) Between the facia and the HDD bay the airflow from the front of the case was terrible.
5) Side and top panels are a bit 'tinny' for the price.

Earlier today I found the answer:
Newegg.com - ARK SR-8100BG Beige Pedestal Server Case 7 External 5.25" Drive Bays - Server Chassis

It may say server case but if you compare it to the TJ-05:
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE TEMJIN SST-TJ05-B Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

They are exactly the same to the last detail! Except that in the SR-8100BG the annoying HDD bay and facia are gone and it is $100 cheaper! The SR-8100BG is also more flexible when it comes to drive configuation although you will need some way of mounting standard HDDs (not a problem).

Anyway, given the price and all the advantages, I would say that the SR-8100BG is definitely a case to keep in mind.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to Tenenbaum
Default Re: Looking for a new case?

Oops, read the post wrong.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenenbaum View Post
Oops, read the post wrong.
Did you do the same as I was going to and recommend a case? :P

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 02-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Haha yeah I suppose you could read it two ways lol. It is a recommendation rather than a request. Although if there is a better deal than an improved TJ-05 for $60 I would be interrested.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread