Looking for a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone,

I'm currently considering buying a laptop. I'd like to keep the price under $2,000. I want something that's fairly slim and has a battery life of more than 3 hours. I also want to be able to game. Nothing too intense just Source games and maybe WoW. I bought my desktop from iBuypower.com and I'm thinking maybe I'll order a custom lappy from them too? Or maybe from Cyberpower? Any other suggestions?

What's the best processor for laptops? I see they're building notebooks with Intel Core Duos now. What about the AMD Turion 64? I want a good balance of power, battery life, and portability. I'm kind of behind on my CPU knowledge, so if you guys could fill me in, it'd be appreciated.

Any other suggestions/ comments are welcome. Thanks!

The new laptops from AMD (Turion) have very impressive battery life.

Example:
My Dad bought this laptop about 3 months ago, and it has about 4-hour battery life, with constant use (played games on a road trip).

The video card on it isn't impressive, but it's large (17"), and 1GB of RAM. All under $1200.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10076833&catid=22496&logon=&langid=EN

The core 2 duo's are powerful, but I was told at Future Shop that they only get about 1.5-2 hours with that processor. And they're called Centrino Duo with laptops.

No, cause you're really looking for battery life, not hardcore performance. Do you plan on gaming on this laptop?

Yeah, I want to do some gaming. Stuff like HL2 and WoW. I'd also like to do 3D work and Source game mapping.

Well, I've decided I do want to go with a dual core laptop. I'm just deciding whether to go with a Core 2 Duo or Turion 64 X2. Is the Core 2 duo 64 bit? If not, then I'll go with the AMD. Does anyone have any side-by-side comparisons of the two?

I got a inspiron 6400 aka the e1505 for cheap (1369 Canadian) and it has

Core 2 Duo 1.83
2 gigs ram
x1400 video card
80 gig hd
battery upgrade
operating sys upgrade
3 year complete care warranty (normally 300$ for 200$ included in the 1369)

Im satified. It seems to run well. I really wish they had a better video card though like a x1600 available. Either way it even plays fear quake 4 Doom 3 ect for me acceptably. Wow would be cake im sure. If you are really into games though you would probably want to get something with a X1600 to a 7950GT as they will be quite future proff for gaming and run the most demanding games smoothly.

forgot to add...from what i understand the core 2 duos are 64 bit but the core duos are 32 bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom