Looking into motherboard and CPU upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
After finding out that my motherboard does not really have SATA 3 (even though it advertises it) I've decided that it's time to upgrade to a setup that includes SATA 3. Currently I've got an i5 750 and an asus p7p55d-e motherboard that I can't overclock very well due to something on my board getting too hot. I'd like to be able to get a good overclock with this new setup. I'm fairly certain that I'd be going with an i5 2500K unless Intel/AMD has some new CPU for the same price or lower that is supposed to be coming out soon that is better. The part that I'm unsure about is which motherboard I should get. I want something that will be able to overclock well and something that has real SATA 3 speeds that will let me get the most out of my SSD.

Thanks for the help.

Take a look at Asus's Sabertooth board. The only thing it is missing is EUFI BIOS.

That motherboard looks awesome but it's a little pricy. I'll be willing to get it if I can get the most out of my SSD with it, but is their anything that's a little cheaper than that?

not sure what you mean by that asus P55 motherboard doesn't have sata 3? the white sata ports are sata 3 ports.

I would go with the Asus P8P67 Pro as a good mid-range overclocking board.

You don't want to use memory rated above 1.5v with the new SandyBridge CPU's.

not sure what you mean by that asus P55 motherboard doesn't have sata 3? the white sata ports are sata 3 ports.

They're not real Sata 3 ports. I can choose between having USB 3, or SATA 3 and if I enable one of them it drops my PCIe lane down to x8 instead of x16, and when I do that I still don't get very good speeds.

I would go with the Asus P8P67 Pro as a good mid-range overclocking board.

You don't want to use memory rated above 1.5v with the new SandyBridge CPU's.

Whats the biggest difference between the Pro, Deluxe and the Sabertooth board that Trotter suggested?

Thanks for the information about the RAM. I'll be sure to sell my old set of 1.6v RAM when I sell my i5 750 and motherboard.

I wouldn't go with the Sabertooth, the armorshield doesn't dissipate heat well, it just spreads it out over the mobo.

The Deluxe is built with slightly better components than the Pro, I found it to be more stable at higher overclocks.

The Pro seems to be getting some poor reviews 41% "5 eggs." Reading through some of the reviews people complained about random freezing a few times. I think I'll step up to the EVO version that seems to have some better feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom