Little help! New PC, open box from - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Little help! New PC, open box from

Hi, I just bought a
  • iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 927
  • Core 2 Quad Q9550(2.83GHz)
  • 8GB DDR2 750GB
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

...from Newegg as an Open Box special.

It hasn't arrived yet, but I expect that when it does, it may be riddled with hardware issues. I'd like to know in advance what I can do to check temperatures, RAM, video card status, etc.

I'm not computer-smart whatsoever, so bear with me.

Questions for tech junkies:

What would you do, if you were getting an Open Box PC, and weren't sure exactly what had been done to it in the past? How would you check the components?

What are some important things to check among internal hardware before starting it up?

What have you heard about iBuyPower computers? Craftsmanship weaknesses, strengths?

Any general info would be great, and thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Little help! New PC, open box from

You can use Hardware Monitor for your Temperatures, Fan Speeds and Voltages.

You can use EVGA Precision to Monitor and adjust your Video Card.
EVGA Precision 1.8.1 download from

For testing the General Overall Performance and Reliability of your PC you can run a few Benchmarks.

The Tech Forums Official Crysis [Warhead] GPU Benchmark Thread

Post your Hard Drive Benchmark (HD Tach)

Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Default Re: Little help! New PC, open box from

From NewEgg:
This is our Detailed Open Box Item Return Policy. Newegg often sells items that are listed as "open-box." Because these items are sold at greatly reduced prices, they are subject to a limited refund-only return policy. Such items can only be returned within 30 days of the applicable invoice date. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA. Newegg cannot provide replacement service for these items, as their stock is limited. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including, but not limited to, scratches, dings or dents. Should these items exhibit a functional defect following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

If you purchase an Open-Box product Newegg guarantees only that you will receive the product itself; accessories MAY OR MAY NOT BE INCLUDED with Open-Box products. Newegg will not send you a missing accessory, even if the missing accessory is required in order to properly make use of all the product’s advertised functions.
The PC has been tested and works. You have 30 days to return it, period. Do not expect any accessories with it.

Pretty simple, actually.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
From NewEgg:

The PC has been tested and works. You have 30 days to return it, period. Do not expect any accessories with it.

Pretty simple, actually.

Oh, yeah. Right.

I forgot to mention that I'm a complete, bumbling, cud-chewing, babbling idiot, half-retarded moron, and didn't read that already.

But a serious thanks to Slaymate, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Closed Thread