a little disapointed, suggestions? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default a little disapointed, suggestions?

Just finished upgrading my PC. Basically bought a new one. I upgraded the CPU, motherboard, Ram, and GPU. Re-installed windows 7 pro 64-bit, ran the Windows experience index, and my CPU only scored a 4.1?

Any suggestions why it might be so low? my old AMD Phenom 4x 2.21 scored higher then that.

my new PC specs are in my sig.

Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB DDR5
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum
OCZ Vertex 3, 120gig
Seagate Barracuda 500GB(Data) 2X 1TB (Media)
750 Watt PSU
OCZ Vandetta 2 triple heatpipe CPU heatsink
42" LG LCD widescreen
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: a little disapointed, suggestions?

the windows performance system is crap. play games and if you're getting worse FPS then you've got a hardware problem.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

The above user is 100% correct, the system is rather innacurate.

But that same processor by friend has with a 6850 graphics card, runs crysis with max AA and maxed settings at 45-65 FPS, so no problem.

NZXT Phantom | Intel i5-3570k 3.4Ghz | Asus P8Z77-V | CoolerMaster V6 GT | Ripjaws
8GB 1600mhz | EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB | Corsair HX750 Watt |SB 1.5TBHDD
7200 RPM+WD 500GB 7200RPM | OCZ Vetex 3 120GB SSD | Lite-On 24x Reader/Writer/Burner Drive |
Razer Naga MMO Gaming Mouse | Razer Lycosa Gaming Mouse | Logitech G930 Gaming Headset
Old 01-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Agreed WIE is just a crappy guide for who... well i still haven't worked that one out yet.

I'm sure you have but Just double check all drivers are installed and upto date and you have got them the manufacturer website or the official Vendors website.

dont install drivers from the windows updater.

If you like check your performance by typing in the search box in the start menu - perfmon /report and hit enter, should take 60secs to generate a report.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

definitely check your drivers from the manufacturer, that's a common thing that people tend to overlook when they upgrade. Another thing that could contribute to the lower CPU score (as there aren't CPU drivers) could be their Cool 'N Quiet feature. Basically what it does is clocks down the CPU when it's idling to consume less power, and it only brings the CPU back up to it's full clock speed when you do something like game or run CPU intensive tasks. Only to stomp this point into the ground cause it's kind of funny, the WEI feature isn't intense enough (or worthwhile enough) to trigger the increase in CPU clock speed.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

thanks guys, I kinda thought something my be wrong...I'll double check for updated drivers for my MB. hadn't even gotten that far yet. just put everything together yesterday, and I haven't even tried any games yet. guess while I'm at it, I'll check for updates on my GPU as well
Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB DDR5
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum
OCZ Vertex 3, 120gig
Seagate Barracuda 500GB(Data) 2X 1TB (Media)
750 Watt PSU
OCZ Vandetta 2 triple heatpipe CPU heatsink
42" LG LCD widescreen
Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

take a couple minutes and pewpew some baddies no sense of you buying all those fun components and not even giving them a shot.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via MSN to unhunkyguy

Microsoft's Windows Experience Index is....well to keep it clean, dung. The only true way to know if there is a performance problem is to use resource-heavy applications/games. If you notice they run slower, then yes, there IS a problem.

Closed Thread