That little "audio" wire that goes from the sound card to the CD drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
What is it? I'm trying to figure it out as much as I can. I don't have one with my computer, but I noticed when I cracked open my 5 year old gateway to fix something (It's my brother's pc he messed around on) I noticed it. I also noticed it on my uncle's 3 year old Dell when he had a problem with it as well.

What is it? What does it do? And if I have a dual drive setup, do I need two audio wires? And lastly do I NEED it? Because right now, I don't!

I'm not positive but I think it is so you can use the headphone jack on the front of the cd drive when there is no cd in the drive.

Also, you dont need more that one of those audio wires if the 2 optical drives are connected to the dame IDE Channel.

Those are old audio wires that used to be used to transfer sound from CD drives to the sound card.

However in newer computers you transfer the data (music) across the IDE cable and it gets decoded and sent to the sound card.

you can you use them if you want but like chris said chances are even if you plug them in chances are you wont actually use them. Ive never used them since my 400mhz packard bell.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Those are old audio wires that used to be used to transfer sound from CD drives to the sound card.

However in newer computers you transfer the data (music) across the IDE cable and it gets decoded and sent to the sound card.

So if I'm working on some ancient PC and I crack open the case and find the audio wire, should I just go ahead and remove it or leave it be?

My uncle's pc has one of these audio cables, however it goes from the sound card to something else... I can't remember if it's the gfx card or the motherboard, but I'm pretty sure it's the gfx card it connects to...

it wont connect to the GFX Card .he might have a 6600GT and u need a molex power cord to goto it

Amd2800 said:
it wont connect to the GFX Card .he might have a 6600GT and u need a molex power cord to goto it

It's a Dell. I doubt it had a 6600GT. I'll just have to get a closer look next time I'm over.

What else would it plug into, though? The motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom