Liquid Cooling GTX 480

xerolen

In Runtime
I had to add extra cooling just to keep my system from over heating and entering Emergency Shutdown. I have a temperature monitor setup and it reads my GTX 480 running at 45-58 Degrees Celsius on average and about 66 Celsius while gaming. I was thinking of liquid cooling it but I have no idea what Video cooling device would work. Any idea's which VGA liquid cooling unit would work? I was thinking about this one.

ARCTIC Accelero Hybrid VGA Cooler - Newegg.com

Any idea if it would fit or if it's even possible to remove the Heat-sink without damaging the Card on the 480?

Firstly, grab MSI Afterburner and Kombustor. Properly stress the card to check for load temps via the software which takes its counter from inside the IHS.

Your case must have very poor cooling if it's causing what I'm assuming to be a stock CPU to overheat. When you are gaming, what is your CPU temp? Does it do this when you take the side panel off? I would prime95 and coretemp your CPU while you are doing the 480 as well to simulate a gaming environment to see what the temps are. If you are under 75c on the CPU then you are ok, and it shouldn't be shutting down.

It's possible and very easy to remove the heatsink, shroud, and base plate. The description of the cooler has 480 in it, so if it's a reference cooler you'll have no problems getting it on there. BUT I suggest grabbing an H80i and zip tieing it instead. The reason I suggest this is because it has a better heatplate, better pump, and better rad. You can OC the 480 with something like the H80i, whereas the Hybrid VGA is only good for a stock replacement to dump the heat out of your case in a different area.

Back
Top Bottom