LCD Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I have 2 monitors atm. A Dell E207WFP (widescreen) and a Samsung SyncMaster 204B (standard)

I am looking to replace those. Hopefully late summer. Sooner if I get a good job.

Is a 22" or 23" much more retail space than the 20"? Or maybe just use my Samsung and a new monitor?

Also, what brands are good? I know Samsungs are phenomenal, but they come at a price. I have an Acer on my mom's computer, got it a year ago, no problems. I heard good things about ASUS as well. Just don't want an off-brand.

I know deals come and go. I'm just looking for suggestions here.

The reason being, I'm starting to see white specs on my Dell. It's been long out of warranty. Got it in late 2006 or early 2007.

20 and 22 inch monitors use the same native resolution (generally) so in terms of retail space you won't be getting a whole lot, things will just be bigger. 23 and 24 use 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 generally so I'd say go for a 23 or 24. They're kinda all over on pricing so look up some reviews on them see which ones are better or worse, but if you want more retail space definitely go with a 23 or 24 that offers 1920x1200.

I'd go with Acer/Asus/HP/Hanns-G/LG/NEC/Dell/Samsung. All good manufacturers.

Hanns-G is pretty good. They've got nice stuff, not as cheap as Acer but still fairly priced. There seems to be a lot less of their products around though.

Personally I only buy Samsungs and haven't been disappointed by any of them. They really aren't that expensive either, I payed between $170 and $185 for each of my 23.6" 1080p Samsungs last year whcih i though was a pretty fair price.

If you want a IPS monitor Dell is probably your best option, they have a pretty good selection of them and tend to run nice sales every so often. Dell also tends to have good warranties on their high end models as well as guarantees regarding dead pixels.

Is IPS really that much nicer? I'm not playing SC2 at a bad angle.

TN's are good enough for most people, myself included, but IPS does have superior viewing angles and color accuracy. If you want to see the difference in person try to find a store where you could compare a iPad to a regular pc monitor or laptop.

That Asus seems like good deal, I didn't realize they sold IPS displays.

Neither did I. It says it is new to Newegg. Odd thing is, most sites, other than Newegg, don't classify between TN and IPS screens.

most won't because if you're buying an IPS panel you know what you're looking for, and the vast majority of screens are TN. The only IPS monitors I'm aware of are made by Dell, Apple, NEC and now Asus and I think a couple other smaller manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom