LCD Monitor Brands - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default LCD Monitor Brands

In my personal expeience, I have never, ever had any kind of problems with Samsung. Viewsonic on the other hand, Im a little skeptic.

I curently own a Viewsonic monitor (19" LCD). It's been great for roughly two years until recently. There would be no display but the power light is green and flashing. It's trying to get signal, but not. I can hear Windows logging in the background because of the stupid Windows startup sound, yet the monitor is blank.

The ONLY way that I can get the display back up again is if I were to unplug the power cord from the back of the monitor, leave it unplugged for about 30-45 seconds and then plug it back in. Works every single stupid time!!!!

I think I can safely say that my monitor is on the fritz for two years of ownership. Bad, not a good sign Viewsonic.

Before, I thought it was my lousy POS video card (7800GT). Since I have no way of testing it, it made me consider the monitor. Maybe it's jsut a bad cable for all I know. But this has scarred me from using Viewsonic as my next monitor. It's Samsung next and will keep using that brand until premature failure forces me to reconsider my options.

Anyone have any particular trouble with a certain brand monitor?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge
Default Re: LCD Monitor Brands

We ordered around 26 Sceptres last year at my work place. They were cheap and looked sharp, but I think about 10 of them had a stuck pixel. I think all but one of the pixel issues were easily fixable by either pushing on the pixel gently or using a random color shifter to unstick the pixel.

Other than that, I have used a Viewsonic TV that the soundboard failed. On the good side, I have had a great experience with Acer monitors.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
ID.10T

Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak

I have a Viewsonic LCD that is pushing 5 years old, one of the first 8ms monitors to come out if I remember correctly, it still works like new, even after I melted the plastic frame, heh. I also <3 my Acer, although it's too new to tell you about reliability.

Only problems I have had are with generic CRT monitors, like proview/KDS, those are garbage.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Ive had a samsung syncmaster 19" widescreen for about 10months now, been spot on, nice crisp text and good colours.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Hmmm, I'll have to give Acer a try if more people provide positive comments on them. I've never considered them before.

The Viewsonic that I have is one of those newer 2ms monitors. I have to admit, there are no dead pixels at all, but there are issues with receiving signal. I'm using it right now. It's super sharp and bright which I like. It's too bad it's having problems this early--especially with the warranty expired.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Putting the X in Sapper

I bought a viewsonic, had it for 2 days, and returned it because the colors and bleeding were the worst i've ever seen. That was on their "best" line of monitors, the 4000:1 contrast ratio.

The dell LCD I have is unbelievable, really really good colors.
850w Thermaltake PSU | Cooler Master Centurian 590 | 2x Dell 22" LCD

-900HA EEE pc
Old 04-01-2008, 01:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

I hear a lot about Dell's TruBrite monitors. Lots of positive comments about it, especially considering it's Dell branded. I think it's a Samsung monitor though. Go Samsung!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Dell monitors are very nice. They are actually rebranded Samsungs and I have bought many times from Dell.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

i would rather just get a samsung directly then threw dell.. i have a 226bw 2ms and couldn't be more happy
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 04-02-2008, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Putting the X in Sapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke992006 View Post
i would rather just get a samsung directly then threw dell.. i have a 226bw 2ms and couldn't be more happy
That monitor was sold out at tiger direct when I went, so I just picked up a Dell instead. But you can't go wrong with samsung or dell at all.

850w Thermaltake PSU | Cooler Master Centurian 590 | 2x Dell 22" LCD

-900HA EEE pc
Closed Thread