Large Quantities - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Large Quantities

I wouldn't buy bulk from Dell, but my laptop (now my mom's) that I got back in 2007, still works. Well, other than the wireless card crapping out. But getting a new one and swapping it out was easy.
__________________

__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
Default Re: Large Quantities

Who ever has had great experiences with dell either
1) Is lucky
2) Treated it great, fixing when needing to be fixed. (We have teenage kids using ours, but that should only account for software failures for the most part. That's not our issue)
or
3) Are brainwashed


That's my opinion.

Dell's are honestly junk now.
They are the biggest reason I would never buy an Alienware computer.
__________________

Myskillzownu is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Large Quantities

No one that knows what they are doing, buys Alienware. They are much overpriced.
__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon
 
Roark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,352
Default Re: Large Quantities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myskillzownu View Post
2) Treated it great, fixing when needing to be fixed.
If you are going to put money into anything why would you not treat it great and fix any issues that arise.

Dell was amazing in the late 90s/early 2000s and maybe they've been coasting off that rep.
Thankfully my 4yr old Dell has had 0 issues the whole time I've had it.

How many computers are you looking to get? Honestly you might be best off letting different companies bid on who gets to supply the district and going with the best deal.

Side note, both of the colleges I attended used Dell, so they must be doing something right.
__________________
Please read through the thread thoroughly before responding.
Nobody wants to read a wall of text, formatting is your friend.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Roark is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Large Quantities

Might want to look into Mac, too. I know they give a big discount to schools.
__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,508
Default Re: Large Quantities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post

Side note, both of the colleges I attended used Dell, so they must be doing something right.
The college I attend uses all HP systems, and they work fine.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
Default Re: Large Quantities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
If you are going to put money into anything why would you not treat it great and fix any issues that arise.

Dell was amazing in the late 90s/early 2000s and maybe they've been coasting off that rep.
Thankfully my 4yr old Dell has had 0 issues the whole time I've had it.

How many computers are you looking to get? Honestly you might be best off letting different companies bid on who gets to supply the district and going with the best deal.

Side note, both of the colleges I attended used Dell, so they must be doing something right.
It's students that are using them, so we can't really help how they treat them.
And as far as fixing every issue, we have 5 schools full of computers so yeah :\ It's hectic trying to keep up.

They aren't doing too much right, they just rise off the reputation.
People that don't know just assume that Dell is awesome.

And Mac's are not an option. It would mean learning the new environment completely and finding new software for everything we use.
Myskillzownu is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Large Quantities

It depends on what you need it for. If it's just word processing, any mac or pc will work.
__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NY USA
Posts: 384
Default Re: Large Quantities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myskillzownu View Post
It's students that are using them, so we can't really help how they treat them.
And as far as fixing every issue, we have 5 schools full of computers so yeah :\ It's hectic trying to keep up.

They aren't doing too much right, they just rise off the reputation.
People that don't know just assume that Dell is awesome.

And Mac's are not an option. It would mean learning the new environment completely and finding new software for everything we use.
Every Mac comes with Bootcamp. And I know schools can buy windows at a greatly reduced price making using Mac no different than using any other PC.
__________________
Pentium D 935 @ 4.0ghz
AsRock g31
Kingston HyperX T1, 4gb
Radeon HD 5670 @ 860mhz gddr5
Antec High Current Gamer 520
InWin Br665 matx
CyberPower Green CP1500 900W UPS
Acer 20" G205hl
Camera Canon PowerShot SX10is
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
1) Be Respectful Treat other members as you would have them treat you. This means no flaming, insulting, or belittling other members.
Thomas is offline  
Old 07-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 90
Default Re: Large Quantities

do they have to be desktops? Google has a pretty solid education program for their chromebooks including a leasing option with support, upgrades and replacement units.

Chromebook
__________________

InfiniteLoop is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too large to be good? n00bie379 ISP and Web Hosting 14 09-30-2009 05:19 AM
Dvd too large to copy joeodd2 Computer Audio and Multimedia 1 03-01-2007 12:27 PM
WTB: Large IDE HDD CrAzY_GaMeR_07 Buy/Sell/Trade and Hot Deals 2 02-13-2007 06:11 AM
best value for a LARGE case? dbernie41 Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 5 10-04-2004 11:53 PM
too large a desktop csnudelman Microsoft Windows and Software 1 08-18-2004 07:47 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.