Laptop video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC

Beta member
Great forum here! I just found it since I'm having some problems with my laptop...

I've got a Sager laptop that's about four years old, and it looks like the video card is going....either that or its the screen. I've got a bunch of weird blue lines running thru it. I read somewhere thats a known problem with that video card, so I'm guessing thats it.

The card in it is a Mobility Radeon 9000. If I need to replace it I want to get something a BIT better, but don't need the latest and greatest (the 9000 has been fine for me so far), but I don't know what is considered a good middle of the road card anymore.
So, a couple questions:

1. Anyone have any suggestions on a card that I can get put in that's better than the 9000, but not super great?

2. Should I return it to Sager (who are probably gonna charge me an arm and a leg to fix it) or should I try to fine someone in the local area to fix it? I've heard (and read on this forum) that the video card isn't something I can replace on my own.

3. Are they going to have to replace the entire motherboard, or just the video card?

Thanks for any suggestions! The specs on the computer are below...

Pentium 4 3.06 MHz
512 MB RAM
Mobility Radeon 9000 (says mem size is 128MB)

Depends if the vid card is built into the motherboard or is removable, and I'm not sure which yours is. I am not familiar with Sager as a brand.
I did a quick ebay search and no Sager parts came up there, nor on www.impactcomputers.com, a laptop parts site that I reference when looking for parts. You might want to consider calling Sager's tech support or looking up your laptop further on their site. Are you still within warranty?

i think it might be...I have a newer Sager notebook and the graphics are not replaceable...

If that's the case then it's probably the whole mobo that needs to be replaced. Try hooking your laptop up to an external monitor and seeing if the graphics still look weird. If they look fine then your laptop's screen might be toast, if they still look messed up then it's your motherboard.

Thanks for the replies. I hooked it up to a good monitor, and it took some hard looking (and opening different programs) but the blue lines are on the good monitor too (barely), so it must be the card.

Anyone have any idea how much a decent mobo with a decent
(not great) video card goes for? I'm waaaaaay out of warranty, so I'd like to keep the cost down. Which brings up a good question, how long would it take an experienced tech to swap out the board?

Thanks,

JC

Laptop mobos aren't like desktop ones, they have to come from the manufacturer so it's going to cost whatever Sager feels like charging. Best to givem a call and see what it'll run you. I also have no idea how long it would take to swap out a motherboard on your lappy as I have no idea how easy this brand is to work with. My advice is take it to a store that specializes in laptops, you can prolly find a local one near any college campus. If possible get it to some one who won't charge by the hour and do just a flat fee. I'd also recommend seeing how much Sager would charge you to install it, manufacturers will usually do repairs on their units even if you're out of warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom