Which laptop should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
I'm trying to decide which of these laptops to buy. Anyone want to comment on any of these? I'm using for basic applications, some travel but not much, no heavy gaming, just looking for dependability and best overall performance. Appreciate any help. There are four I'm choosing from:

Toshiba Satellite M45-S169

* Intel Celeron M 380 1.60GHz
* 512MB DDR SDRAM
* 15.4" WXGA display screen
* 80GB hard drive
* DVD-R/CD-RW combo drive
* Integrated 802.11b/g, wireless LAN
* Windows XP Home OS
* 6.2 lbs

HP nx6110

* Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz
* 512MB DDR SDRAM
* 15" XGA display screen
* 40GB hard drive
* DVD/CD-RW combo drive
* Integrated 802.11 a/b/g wireless
* Windows XP Professional OS
* 4.5 hour battery life
* 6.06 lbs

Gateway NX550

* 512MB DDR SDRAM
* 15.4" WXGA widescreen display screen
* 60GB hard drive
* DVD/CD-RW combo drive
* Integrated 802.11 b/g wireless card
* Windows XP Home (SP2) OS
* 5.9 lbs

Sony VAIO VGN-FS790B01

* 512MB DDR SDRAM
* 15.4" LCD, XBRITE display screen
* 40GB hard drive
* DVD/CD-RW combo drive
* Integrated Intel PRO wireless 2200, wireless LAN
* Windows XP Professional OS
* 5.5 hour battery life
* 6.3 lbs

I was leaning towards Sony, but for no particular reason. I guess I was definitely leaning AWAY from the Toshiba because it's a Celeron? Let me know if there is one you would definitely choose or definitely NOT choose. Thanks in advance.

Ok lets look at the advantages and disadvantages of the 3 that should perform about the same. Am eliminating the toshiba for it lesser cpu.

I personally perfer having windows xp profesional so I would not get the gateway.

Out of the HP and Sony I would go with the sony for it longer battery life. So I would proberly choose the sony if there was not a big price difference between the HP and the sony.

Is the Sony Vaio a top performer?

Is the Sony Vaio a very good machine in general? It seems to be premium priced. Do the Vaios have a good reputation?

You said "I can always add RAM later". But aren't they all 512? Are you just saying the Sony is very good, and can always just "supercharge" it later?

i would choose the hp as i had a really bad experience with the viao, they are over priced and dont perform as well. my friend has a 2-3 yr old hp laptop and its great. hp is really a good brand, i would also suggest dell even though you dont have it on ur list since they make great laptops. however, in the end i would choose the hp. it stands out with performance, bad cpu in the toshiba, dont trust gateway and sony, so that leaves hp.

Re: Is the Sony Vaio a top performer?

bagelred said:
Is the Sony Vaio a very good machine in general? It seems to be premium priced. Do the Vaios have a good reputation?

You said "I can always add RAM later". But aren't they all 512? Are you just saying the Sony is very good, and can always just "supercharge" it later?

The Vaios seem to have a good reputation, I haven't heard any bad things about them. They are going to be premium priced because they are Sonys. Seems to be no problems with them, and Sony is a reputable brand.

Yes they are all 512, I was saying that the Sony is good, and yes, you can "supercharge" it later. If you're going to be running a lot of applications you'll want to get a gig of RAM. So by me saying that you can always add RAM later, you have to be thinking of the future and what you're exactly going to be using this laptop for.

hp is really a good brand, i would also suggest dell even though you dont have it on ur list since they make great laptops

HP isn't a "really good brand" HP is crap. Their laptops are decent, but aren't "really good."

Dell laptops are also decent. I've heard of some problems with battery life, but have also heard that they have good battery life. You may want to check out some Dell laptops.

Money isn't object here:

I have a chance of getting one of these four for free, so that's why only certain brands are on the list.

Seems the Toshiba is out becauae it's a Celeron.

No one seems to recommend the Gateway - not sure why...

So I guess it's between Sony and HP. I suppose a Sony. I figure they must be premium priced for a reason....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom