? laptop hardrive upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjb01

Beta member
I ahve a dell inspiron 8200 1.7 meg with 1024 ram and a hard drive that is a 30 gig 2mb cache 4200 rpm. I am only using about 10 gig of the 30 but the operation seems very slow at times just browsing.

I was thinking of upgrading to either a 5400 with an 8 meg cache or maybe even a 7200rpm. Just curious what others may have expierenced or any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort just viewing this. THANKS

that doesn't really sound like a hdd issue it sounds like you have a system that needs to be defunked of all the oem crap that comes with your system. running basic os functions actually takes very little hdd speed, its when you are transfering files or loading programs that the hdd speed comes into effect, and the difference even in loading programs is really quite small. If its more space you want then if it was me I would have an external hdd with a desktop hdd in it (3.5") to store all your media on and I would leave the factory hdd alone.

a 7200RPM drive will increase speed a lot. It will also save battery life since it won't have to run as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom