Laptop hard drive compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbirtwell

Beta member
I have a HP Pavilion ZT3017US (ZT3000 series) laptop and the hard drive went out. After some research, I discovered that the Toshiba MK6021GAS hard drive has a pretty bad repetation for reliability and customer satisfaction. I would like to switch to a Fujitsu, Hitachi or Western Digital or Seagate drive, but I am worried about compatability. Are all 2.5" laptop hard drives compatible? I have built numerous desktops where hard drives are interchangable for the most part, but this is my first laptop repair. Does anyone have a harddrive compatability chart or can someone point me in the right direction as to what drives I can choose from? Thanks.

Laptops hard drives are all the same, you just need to slide them into the hard drive caddy that your broken hd is in and it will work. I replaced my Inspiron's IBM drive with a Western Digital and have been happy with it. All four of the brands you've listed are fine.
Get at least a 5400 rpm drive and buy from newegg, they're about half the price of retail for laptop hard drives I've found.
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=380

also make sure you get a drive that uses the same interface... if your laptop uses SATA hard drives, make SURE it is a SATA drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom