laptop for freshy at college

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokinbird87

Beta member
hi.. i am a total noob at computers, and i figured i would find a forum and ask the experts like i do with my cars, cuz that seems to be the best way to do anything haha.

so which laptop is the most suitable as far as value for the buck? as i mentioned above, i am a total noob, and i am still trying to find out what RAM means, so help me out guys. thanks.

$100 laptop gets its first production run

You will have to be a little more specific about what it is you will be using the laptop for. What kind of requirement do you have? If this is just for browsing the net, email, instant messaging, etc. etc. you will be fine with a cheap second hand laptop. If you are going into graphical design, or something along those lines where the laptop will be a tool you will need in class, that will be a different creature. The bang for the buck can really only be looked at when you identify WHAT the hardware has to accomplish. A sub- 1Ghz processor and less than 512 MB of RAM is more than sufficient for web browsing, email, office documents, etc. etc. (I know you aren't 'computer litterate', but that would be a slow computer. Think of it as a 3 cylinder Geo metro... if you need a car, it's a car... it isn't much to look at, but on the level, it gets the job done).

Ethereal_Dragon said:
$100 laptop gets its first production run

You will have to be a little more specific about what it is you will be using the laptop for. What kind of requirement do you have? If this is just for browsing the net, email, instant messaging, etc. etc. you will be fine with a cheap second hand laptop. If you are going into graphical design, or something along those lines where the laptop will be a tool you will need in class, that will be a different creature. The bang for the buck can really only be looked at when you identify WHAT the hardware has to accomplish. A sub- 1Ghz processor and less than 512 MB of RAM is more than sufficient for web browsing, email, office documents, etc. etc. (I know you aren't 'computer litterate', but that would be a slow computer. Think of it as a 3 cylinder Geo metro... if you need a car, it's a car... it isn't much to look at, but on the level, it gets the job done).

muhaha 3 cyl. geo... lol. but yea, i`m majoring in industrial design, so i will have to run auto-CAD and other designing programs on the laptop.

You'll need a decent video card for Auto Cad, I'd recommend getting a dedicated one rather than the integrated ones most notebooks come with. Here's what I recommend for specs:
AMD/Intel dual core processor
1gb or more of ram
Atleast 80gb hard drive, depending on your needs
Dedicated video if you can find it in your price range

About what are you looking to spend here? And how much gaming do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom