Laptop or Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baseband Member
Hi all
I currently have 2 computers (both heaps of rubbish). The one is a pentium 3 550Mhz, and the other is a laptop, which is a P2 233Mhz. Both of them are unbearably slow.
I have been saving up for an AMD Dual Core 4400+, and the thought struck me that I use my laptop a lot (I edit my school's website), and maybe for the same price, I should get a pretty good laptop.

What should I do, get an excellent, or a pretty good laptop?

The next part of my decision, is if I choose to get a laptop, what is good and what isn't? I only really know from Desktops, ive never really researched desktops.
The one I was looking at is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L20-102 Intel Pentium M 740 (1.73GHz)
Bear in mind that I live in South Africa, and therefore cannot buy from american shops.
Thanks in advance
Danny

With laptops you are paying alot more for a worse system (getting obvious out of the way.)

I am not a fan of laptops, I like them for what they are which means a Intel mobile processor, not the P4 or celeron, integrated graphics a small hdd and a simple screen. This means that you will get decent battery life for you to sit in your garden/bench/where ever your imagination takes you to do your studies or write a book. When you start wanting to have high powered systems the battery life is terrible so by the time you get into your work you start getting low battery life warnings.

Another thing to remember the build quality is terrible as well.

thanks for your quick reply, in many ways I agree with you, however, bear in mind that I do need a portable computer for various reasons.
Can anyone give me an opinion on my choice of laptop above? Should I choose to get a laptop, that seems like the most likely one I would get, however, Ive never had experience with toshiba, and don't know how good it is.

As a company I like Toshiba along with SAMSUNG and Apple, but I don't really know alot about laptops, someone who does will come on.

never heard of yohnah. I don't think I can get them is south africa, but ill look around. when you say M 740 is good, how does it compare to a P4 3Ghz? Thats about the lowest amoiunt of power I would settle for.

I am not sure exactly but the 1.5 is about the same as a 3.2ghz in some tests.

The clock speed is not important. You want calculations per clock and battery life.

The Yohana cores will slow work their way into the market.

i wouldn't recommend a Toshiba. my mom has a Toshiba Satellite and couple of months after she got it the screen's backlight went dead. also, every now and then the computer starts to type by itself and it acts funny.

I haven't got time to wait for Yahana cores to work their way into the market. My laptop is, in a word, ****ed, and my P3 is too slow, i need a computer very soon, and I think im going to have to go with the laptop. Maybe ill save for my dual core afterwards, but I think it makes more sence to just get a docking station for the laptop. I might also get a dell. My father has one for his work, and it works very well. Also, he can get me one at cost, which is very appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom