Keyboard question/advise needed - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1
Default Keyboard question/advise needed

I am trying to "modify" a computer keyboard (PC) to add external jacks that will allow me to close a switch with a key-press.

I purchased two different keyboards and then got one from our IT guys (at a University) but all three have a thin plastic membrane with a circuit board embedded. I need an old-fashioned keyboard with actual buttons that close a switch when pressed.

phungi is offline  
Old 06-13-2006, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
b0dge's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Location: Posts: 61,784
Posts: 557

Hmmm, could you maybe replace the contacts of a little-used button ("insert" or "scroll lock" or something) with a minature push button from RS or Maplin, and stick the original button to the top of the new switch?

Or, you could find a panel-mount pushbutton with a shallow back end and mount it in a space on the keyboard...

I know neither answer is ideal, but it's just my thoughts...
If you want me to find a suitable push button from RS, give me a shout.

Don't ask questions, just click my rep tick. Now.
b0dge is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.