Just upgraded to a 7900GT..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirtbird

Baseband Member
I just got my new 7900GT from newegg today, I know that the 7900GT asks for a 400watt power supply, atm I have a 300watt. So my question is, with me having a 300watt power supply, would it hurt my new 7900GT? Or would it just not work to its full potential? I plan to go get a new 430watt power supply tomorrow, but for today im stuck with my 300watt.

i think one of the three will happen:

1) it will work
2) it will not work
3) it will damage/burn your 7900gt.

since #3 is on the list, i wouldn't risk it.

yes, I would recommed upgrading.... The LIKELY problem you would have is the computer wouldn't boot.

A few years ago, my friend had an issue like this, where he had a 250W or 300W PS, and the card called for a minimum of 350W. At first, all was good, then the computer stopped booting after a month or two. He had to disconnect the power to the video card, then boot, then RECONNECT the power card when windows was loading.... I would NOT recommed doing this...

I WOULD recommed any of the TruePower series PSU's from ANTEC.

Most likley it will work but perform misrebly due to lack of power, worst case scenario it won't boot up... 0.01% chances that it will actualy hurt anything on the gpu.

I don't think it will hurt your card, considering it's not getting enough power and not to much power. Your more likely to blow out your power supply and not your card.

Depending on the other components in your computer, it may or may not boot. Either way, it can not damage your computer, but your computer will probably run in a weak manner if it decides to boot. If you get it to boot, it will probably be unstable and your video card will probably automatically downclock itself.

Personally, I'd wait to install the new PSU because it's not really that fun wiring everything up with the PSU only to have it completed half *** and then have to take it all apart and then re-install the new PSU.

Of course that's up to you, Good Luck!

Well I would just wait and use your current video card until your PSU arrives, and then you can make sure everything is all fine and dandy. Awesome.

reggie_da_man said:
I don't think it will hurt your card, considering it's not getting enough power and not to much power. Your more likely to blow out your power supply and not your card.

a little off topic, but im considering to take a 200W PSU and plug it from outside the case into a P4 just to see if it explodes, that'll be so awsome if it does!!! Hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom