just need a little help to upgrade grandma's computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro69

In Runtime
hi
my grandma just got a Celeron 3.33 Ghz computer. i read Celeron ain't so good, and i think it's a bit slow too

I'm thinking of changing the chip to a Pentium D... The mobo can fit a Pentium 4, Pentium D, and a Pentium Celeron....

What would you suggest?
I don't want to spend much, 150$ at most

Thanks kindly folks
J.

What is your grandma intending to do with the computer? If it's just internet, e-mail, and such, then the Celeron will do just fine.

some ram will give you a performance boost but the cpu isn't that awful as it is a grandma I dont think she uses high powered applications and multi tasks with movies games and music all playing whilst performing a virus scan lol

A celly 3.33 combined with about 512+ ram will do every thing a granny would need unless she is ripping and pirating music, while doing some photoshop and running a virus scan as stated lol.

When you say she 'just got' it, was it a brand new in box PC, or was it previously used somewhere? Might want to run virus/adware scans and whatnot if it was a previously used computer.

As already mentioned, unless she is encoding media & playing games, that Celeron is just fine... (Pentium Celeron.... it's just Celeron, the Pentium is a different chip).

well, my granny is pretty savvy, was a hot cool woman once upon a time and hasn't really grown into her role yet haha

she will be downloading music, burning dvds and cds, and running a virus scan, not to mention family members who will be using it

she's only 47...

anyway, will that chip be good, or should it be upgraded. i want her to have a nice computer, and i plan on using it when i visit...

cheers,
J.

That Celeron should be able to handle all that. Just give it more ram, like the others said.

So Granny was only 19 when you were born? You live in Alabama or something?

47 ain't old, so that's good.

Pop in some RAM. As was said, 512 is good. A gig is better.

Drop in a cheap, lower-end GFX card to help with any games played on it.

Do a complete system clean up. Virus scans, adware scans, uninstall crapware (if it is new) and unused/unwanted programs (if it ain't). Use MSCONFIG to only allow what you want to run when Windows starts. See if any of this (clean up) helps, and check into the other advice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom