just lost a stick of DDR2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjustforyou

In Runtime
I am going to RMA it, but while I was troubleshooting what was wrong, I started to worry it was my Mobo, and got to looking around newegg for a replacement.

currently running 4x1 gig ddr2 600 with an Intel Q6600 and a 260GTX graphics card. As it turns out I will likely get RMA'd the stick of RAM, so there is no real need to worry about an upgrade, but at the same time I feel like the ram speed is choking the potential of my system.

so 2 questions, first is my presumption of ram being the weakest link in my cpu true?

and if so, what is the better option:

1) presume the quad core 6600 will be future-proof, and upgrade to a 775 pin DDR3 board ~ 70$ on newegg, RAM would be the most expensive part, and when I do eventually have to go i7 + new mobo I would already have the RAM to go in it.

or

2) save up and drop pretty pennies on new mobo+processor+DDR 3 RAM.

I have noticed that the Q6600 is falling out of favor (they don't even have it listed on Newegg anymore), and that has me slightly concerned about the longevity of it, but at the same time its still tearing through current-gen apps (imo they are just price gouging).

ty for the time

-Drew

Your build is pretty solid at the moment.

No reason to spend money on a 775 ddr3 board. Just save your pennies. Once you go that route ddr3 should be cheaper coupled with the fact if you go i7 1336 skt then you will need 3 sticks anyways.

Sure it would be nice to have ddr2 800 ram but not worth the cost with current ram prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom