Just built pc but problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redvers

Baseband Member
Have just built a new pc. K9N Neo motherboard, AMD64X2 AM2 4600+, 2GB RAM, Hitachi 400GB SATA 16MB buffer. Only old bit is the Toshiba DVD ROM.

First of all the 400GB is only recognised as 131GB. Have read up on another thread about the 137GB barrier so am happy that it should be fine once I have installed SP2.

Installed XP last night and then tried SP2. It gets so far and then stops. Kept pressing retry and it stops at same place. A corrupted file supposedly. I know i should have written the file name down, but I figured that if I rebooted it would either bypass the problem or just flag it up again for me to write down. I have used this disk many times on other pc's so don't think it is corrupted.

Decided to reboot and try again. Now it doesn't seem to be reading any CD/DVDs. Device manager says it is working fine but I can't view anything in the drive and so can't install SP2.

firstly you didn't check your build on here before you bought components that hardrive isn't the greatest in its price range. It's a new install of windows right so you haven't got much data so just backup what data you have and reformat and reinstall windows this will clean the harddrive allowing you to start a fresh and right down all errors this time :D

When you say "Device manager says it is working fine but I can't view anything in the drive and so can't install SP2", I get the impression that you already have SP1 installed successfully.... If this is the case, then you should connect the computer to the internet, validate windows, and download SP2 through the windows update site.

I have issues also when installing my copy of Win XP SP2..... After I bought it, it worked FINE the first time, then when I re-formated, it would hang during installation at the same point.... I found out it is my Optical SATA drive, because I hook up an IDE optical drive, and get no errors...

Looks like it was the disk. Borrowed another SP2 disk and loaded up fine.
Thanks for replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom