Just Built My First Computer, Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavenly Slayer

Beta member
Ok so I'm only 15, I went on vacation to see my dad and he showed me how to build a computer. I have it up and running and it zips real good, while I'm sorry for having no pics I have to wait for him to ship it to me. I'm brand new to the whole PC Gaming genre because I've been an XBOX junkie forever. I really want to make it into a gaming computer and I wanted to see what everyone else thinks about my PC. So heres the list of my pieces that I can remeber, I have 2048MB of RAM and a KT3 Ultra Motherboard, CPU??? I didn't have to install it so I need to figure that piece out. I have a nice case, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1185221&CatId=0
I really like it. I don't have a back 8" fan and need to know how vital this is cause I was looking at my PC Health under the BIOS screen and it was running at about 90 degrees Farenheit, what am I looking for in the temperature section of my PC? I have an Nvidia G-Force FX, I think 5500 Ultra 256MB, sorry I don;t have the exact specs because once again it's halfway across the country. A regular Sound Card(not worried about it) a 160 GB HD, and a complete media DVD CD Burner 16X Drive so I'm set there. I also put in a Floppy drive because some of my classes use Floppies still:( I still need to pick out a Monitor, a desk, and I'm very tight on space and money. I'm thinking of getting the Viewsonic VX922, I know it's an LCD but looking at all the reviews there's no ghosts or streaks period so I think it's good what do you think? The power supply is 450Watts and does NOT have an electric shield, will it be ok without an electric shield? I have no idea about speakers, I'll probably just spend $20-$30 on a regular pair of speakers, any ideas on what I should get? And of course I run Windows XP. Now the thing is that I'm not only using this PC for gaming but also for Video Graphic models and to practice Video Game Design, I have MAYA 7, Poser 6, 3D Studio MAX 7, and Adobe Photoshop CS2 on it. When I was toying with Poser 6 I was editing while in the render screens and noticed little lags, so my dad told me the graphics card and motherboard, CPU are about 1-2 years old so ya. I may upgrade them around christmas. The CPU I have in mind is an Intel Pentium 4 Duo Core and at least 4 GB of RAM. But as I look into all of the Gaming Motherboards, CPU's, and video cards, I get lost real fast. There's so many names and we're better than them out there that I can't see which is better for real, from what I've heard Nvidia has it down period and they're the way to go. So any help or pointers or reccomendations are greatly appreciated, thank you for helping me get off the ground guys.

The computer that you currently have is NOT gonna be able to run the current games well.

Get a
AM2 or Conroe cpu
Asus, Dfi, Msi motherboard
Ocz, G.skill, Corsair 2gb ddr2 ram
Nvidia 7600/7800/7900 videocard
Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speakers
Western Digital/Seagate 250gb+ hard drive
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi, Audigy2 soundcard
Antec, PC Power & Cooling(expensive) 450watt+ psu

ahahah its nice how what you posted looks like stairs...

ahaha.. anyway.. i dunno if he needs to go am2... because depending on his ram he could just go to s939 if he is not already there, and just grab a brand new dual core for dirty cheap.. instead of having to buy ram mobo and cpu.. might as well save money..... HE'S ONLY 15.. so keep that in mind... and video is your most important factor for your gaming... like he said get a 7600 or 7900.. 7800 if you can find it cheap enough

He has a KT3 Ultra Motherboard, it's pretty old, best for him to get the latest stuff instead of an upgrade.

You will be fine with 2 Gigs of RAM.. I have seen many posts indicating that Windows will have issues with any amount over 3 Gigs.... you should save your money there, and re-direct it towards Mobo, CPU & video card... The video card you listed is pretty old... The motherboard, MSI Kt3 Ultra is old too, with a Socket A AMD CPU... depending on your budget, you can go Intel Core Duo (in 2 days when it is released) or go with AMD Socket AM2... as the prices were SLASHED to pieces a few days ago...
For example..... AMD 64 3500+ Orleans core (AM2) for $106... Actually, just thought of the fact that if you use an AM2 socket, you will need DDR2, so you will need new memory anyways....

You can use that computer as file storage, and for Folding for TF.. :cool:

EDIT: lol... I did this as a 'quick reply'... typed it out at 2, and didn't bother to hit the submit button... oye... what a day... stupid work got in the way. :D

Ok guys, time to get real.....(he is 15) He is not going to go and throw the comp his dad just made him away and buy a AM2....

First I think the back fan you were talking about is 120mm, mabye the side cover fan is 80mm. Both will help you out.

you have plenty of memory and your PS is fine.

90 deg F is ok, try to keep the comp where air can circulate around it(not inside a desk)

Your Video card is ok (just ok) if you want to play new games you will need a better one.

As to speakers these are VERY nice for the money(free shipping too)
http://www.justdeals.com/Items/970085-1403?

markkleb said:
Ok guys, time to get real.....(he is 15) He is not going to go and throw the comp his dad just made him away and buy a AM2....

Dude, time to re-read his original post....

Heavenly Slayer said:
I may upgrade them around christmas. The CPU I have in mind is an Intel Pentium 4 Duo Core and at least 4 GB of RAM.

Obviously, Christmas is 5 months away (from yesterday), which gives him quite a bit of time to save money, and also, have prices drop. What sense would it make for him to keep a Socket A system by upgrading it when he already said he wants to look at a new CPU.... I recommended a Socket AM2 because #1, it is $106 for a really nice CPU... then consider the fact that it will no doubt get cheaper as christmas approaches. If I were in his shoes, I would keep the Socket A system as a secondary PC, and build a new system....

Also, give kids some credit... Just because they are 15 doesn't mean that they aren't capable of generating income.... I had some nice income back when I was 15, and no, it wasn't from mommy & daddy's pockets.

Best thing to do is set a goal, say save up $500, then just work your tail off over summer break doing what you can to earn money... Mow lawns, clean out gutters, shovel snow, rake leaves.... The money is there, you just have to be diligent... (unless you live in a very rural area, or in the city.. lol, I suppose there isn't as much to do....). If you are in the suburbs somewhere... you have it made. I would easliy clear $50 a week back when I was 15 doing that stuff... paid cash in hand.

Thanks guys, I know I'm only 15 and since money is tight I've gotta pull some strings. I get a lot of income off of cards in school the most I've ever made is about $300 in one week, but I was on fire then. I can count on about $30-$70 every week so ya. I'm upgrading Motherboard and CPU first and then Video Card. I think it will all be done by next year for sure so ya. I'm once again seriously new to all of this so I need explanations on what an s939 is, and exactly how to read the specs on a video card. Thanks all and by the way my dad didn't build it for me, he showed me how to conect pieces and I built it put it all in so ya. I know where it all goes and how to connect everything and what will fit and what won't. I was also saying that I'm missing the back 8 inch fan so ya if 90F is good I'll try to put it down to 80, 85F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom