It's been a while!!

Ahh ok, that seems a little more like it cost wise then.

I have an '06 E46 M3 Competion

This is a pic I have of it from last year, I have a few more little cosmetic mods on it now. Performance wise, I installed Status Gruppe Catless ceramic coated headers, a catted section 1, and got a custom tune from Tuning Tech Frank Smith.

gsKAupg.jpg

Well if you got the 5930k or 5960x it raises the cost considerably. If you went with a more "premeium" board raise another 2-300. The 5820k is a 300 dollar hex i7, but it only has 28 PCI-E lanes. That's easily enough of a chip for like 99% out there and enough lanes for SLI and an M.2 Gen 3 x4 SSD. The 5930k is a hex like the previous, but it has the full 40 lanes of PCI-E and the 5960x is an 8 core with 40 lanes. The 5930k is between 500 and 600, and the 5960x is 1000. My list has a midrange ASRock X99 Extreme6 which is like 275, but if I could I'd get the Extreme11 for 650 bucks :lol:

DDR4 is ridiculous though. 16GB of 2133 (yea, DDR3 speed) is roughly 200+. My list has 16GB of 3000 for 316. RAM speed doesn't make a difference but I figured if I'm making the jump (probably not now) then might as well get something fast right?

Damn nice car man. Makes my car looks like cheap junk (which it is) haha.

Wow those price are steep! New tech always is though... I might end up putting more into a new rig than I expected when I get around to it haha. Looks like though from your description, the 5820k is relatively the equivalent to the i7 920 in it's day, which would be plenty for me, unless I get that overclocking itch again and want to go crazy with it once more. I had a lot of fun with that back in the day.

Thanks man, she's my baby. No worries though, my last car was an old Isuzu Rodeo that was given to me (my uncle used to work for them). Everybody starts somewhere. It's my true passion though so I focused my efforts into getting one of my dream cars and build it up the way I want, which is still very much a work in progress (and we think computer components are expensive, don't get me started on M3 parts...)

Each one of those chips have an unlocked multiplier (no FSB OC on these) so you can OC to the sky on any of them. The mainstream chips also have unlocked setups. 4690k, 4790k both unlocked. Honestly, if you don't video edit or transcode much on your PC I'd say just get yourself a 4790k and save bundles of cash or even the 4690k. Just as fast in gaming and will last pretty much just as long. APIs and such are moving more processing to the GPU to reduce CPU overhead and I'd say maybe in 10 years time a CPU won't be required much for gaming.

Yea this is my 3rd vehicle. I have a 99 Mustang GT that I paid cash for. 1 owner car, female, and babied. Interior basically perfect and had less than 110k miles. I can tell it wasn't abused because the trans shifts so quick, sharp, and perfectly. Only a few cosmetic problems on the outside but I really don't care. Only thing I've done is replace the plugs, check it all over, replace the pads, brake fluid, oil, ect ect. Only aftermarket piece I've done is exhaust. It has the old 4.6 2v and it has spunk. I could make some ok power out of it, but I decided I'm putting a different engine in it (which is in the works already) so haven't done any mods to it. I need to replace my struts but waiting until I have my new place so I have a garage and can put a coil over setup in it. Which I've also waited purposely on because I'm hoping an IRS deal comes by before I drop on the coil over setup.
I almost had a 97 E36 as my first car, but I'm so glad I didn't do it. M3 parts are stupid expensive and I'd be afraid to mod it and possibly blow it up later.

Back
Top Bottom