internet acces for an antique comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkinman86

Baseband Member
Hi folks. I just acquired an "antique" Compaq presario model 2240. It runs windows 95 and has a small harddrive, (2107MB), and but 32 MB of ram. It has an AMD K6 processor ,(200 mh), and a 56k modem.
I am relatively new to computers and have only run XP since I got my first one 4 years ago. I've never had any experience with windows 95.
I have 2 questions. First are there any good resources out there on how to work with windows 95? Secondly, is there any way to connect this computer to a DSL connection to go online without having to go dial-up?
This entire endeavor is really nothing more than a learning experience for me.... ****s and giggles. So far I am encountering error messages and problems I've never had with XP on either of my newer comp. It might be fun learning what makes this thing work.

Surely there are rescources to figure out windows 95. try google or wikipedia.

You may be able to use a DSL connection. I have no experiance with DSL, but i think you just need an ethernet port.

Windows 95 can handle a dsl connection. The thing with a computer that old, is that it's likely not going to have any pci ports. It'll probably have ISA ports instead. So you won't be able to find a network card for it at any local retailer. Ebay can help you though. Once you get the card, you'll need to scour the internet for drivers for said card.

I honestly wouldn't waste your time with that computer unless you're planning on using it as an instant messaging side computer. I've got a p2 433mhz HP doing that. And that's pretty much all it can do. I can't even watch youtube videos on it without it maxing out the processor, and having the video/audio all jumpy.

According to the HP website, that model SHOULD have PCI slots on it, so getting it online shouldn't be a problem. If you are going to BUY a NIC card for this PC, it would be a good idea to look and make sure there is an un-used PCI slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom