Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - Intel Core 2 QX6800

Status
Not open for further replies.

DArcher132

Beta member
Thinking about making my final possible upgrade for my aging computer. Planning on keeping this rig for at least another year 1/2. If I were to upgrade my E6600 to a QX6800, can I use the same heat sink that came with my E6600? Just for reference, this is a Gateway FX530S with an Intel 975X Motherboard. Thanks for the help all!

The QX6800 isn't really worth $200. But it would be better than the E6600, try to get the price down to at least $150 :thumbsup:

The regular quad's are much cheaper than the quad extremes. Looking at a Q6700 right now. What is the main difference between the regular quad and the quad extreme processors?

The difference between the Q6700 and QX6800 is that the Q6700 is 2.66ghz, while the QX6800 is 2.93ghz stock, and that the QX has an unlocked multi while the non extreme version doesn't.

The Extreme Edition is like a Black Edition AMD processor.

Either way for $200 you could get a Phenom II x4 965, and have $50 to spend on beer while you enjoy not only better performance, but better overclocking potential as well.
Of course this would require upgrading the motherboard as well, and somehow I doubt you'd even consider a Phenom II.

If I were you I'd just get the 6700, save a few bucks, and overclock via FSB

im running the Q6600 right now, and its just as fast as need be, they stopped making them, but I imagine you can find one used out there somewhere for 60-100$ (oem=150ish). I dont have trouble running anything that I've seen run on an i7 920, but when it does come time to upgrade going up from these 2 and 4 cores is going to require a new mobo, and some ddr3 if you want to see any future-proofing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom