Intel to AMD. Making the switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Heya'.

My motherboard's crapping out on me. USB ports don't work right sometimes, LAN is screwed up... Took a look-see at my mobo and she's nothing but leaky caps.

Should I stick with my processor (Intel Celeron 1.8GHz), orrr am I better of getting something along the lines of a Sempron (I'm not a power freak, I don't need anything overkill)?

Would something like a Sempron 2800 64bit give me atleast a little performance gain?

Yeah, you'd be much better off going with something like a 64 bit Sempron. If you have a budget we could help you with some suggestions.

Going with a Sempron will be a big boost for you,I'm like you and didn't need much power so when my comp screwed up i switched from my Celeron 2.4Ghz to a Sempron 2600+,I was totally amazed at the difference :amazed: Everything ran way better and took alot less longer to do thing's,It used to take around 7 hour's for me to convert a 700mb avi file to dvd,with my sempron it cut that time to about 3 hour's :D

Elbatrop1 said:

That my friend, is a bad idea. That was my last motherboard until it gave me the finger. first the USB ports, than everything else just stopped working. When i booted up my computer, nothing but the fans would run. i reset the CMOS and that didn't do anything. If you want a reliable socket 754 motherboard, don't get a gigabyte one, their peices of $&!*.

it might be about $130, but my DFI LanParty is the best $130 i've ever spent on computer hardware. Its super reliable.

You didnt like it? I have the nForce3 Ultra equivalent, and I really like it. That's why I recommended it in the first place.

I guess if you have had problems with it, then I would stay away from it as well. Perhaps the skt754 versions werent as good:D

If you're thinking DFI, perhaps a regular Infinity board, as there doesnt seem to be much for overclocking happening.

Actually, what I was looking at specifically was a ECS 755-2A. And the Sempron 2800 64bit is 1.6GHz...

What's a memory divider? I'll probably have to use the ram I have. Hard to come by money these days, gotta' be careful not to waste any. Let's just say computers aren't my top priority lately...

WorldIndustries, your name suggests you have enough money to buy a whole new PC. I would uprgrade to an Athlon 64 and a mobo to go with it. You will probably need some ram, 2GB will give you the most noticeable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom