Intel --> AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mission

In Runtime
if i want to upgrade my computer, and i decide to change the motherboard...is it possible to get an AMD compatable motherboard, and an AMD cpu...and have everything else be compatable? such as video card, sound card, power supply...etc etc?

yes stuff like vid card psu ram etc will work will work with either AMD or Intel... BTW what cpu where you gonna get

i dont know yet for sure if i plan on switching, its just that my Dell computer warrenty expires in 6 days...so...im gonna tear everything out and make it a new pretty one. new mobo, psu, case...etc.

If you are going to do that..then whats the point in even waiting for the warrenty to expire? I doubt you want to keep the case, mobo,ram,vid card (if it even came with one),psu, or anything from the dell.

you didnt understand what i meant, when the warrenty is over...i can do what ever i want with it...if its under warrenty and i do something to it, its no longer covered..for example, my mobo/cpu fried last year...if i had did something to it..i would not have gotten those parts replaced for free....so im just waiting for the warrenty to expire...just in case this sucker wants to choke on me in the next 6 days lol.

I think what Ksingler was trying to say was, "why would you want to keep the parts from your Dell?" If you making a fairly significant upgrade you will probably have to get new ram (DDR2 as opposed to older DDR), you already said that you are getting a new case, psu, cpu, mobo... that leaves the hard drive(s), the CD/DVD drives, and possibly the Videocard and Soundcard (if they are worth pulling out of your dell). IMO, if you are already making the major upgrades to most of your machine... why not go ahead and spend the extra $$ and make major upgrades to the rest (Like getting a 250gb 7200rpm SATA hard drive for $80 instead of pulling out the old HD)? In other words... toss the Dell to the curb and just build it all new.

oh because the parts in my dell are good at the moment, ive got a 6800 and a 120g hard drive, i pretty much dont need anything better then that. and my sound card is a audigy 2. and 1gig of ram...its just that anything like a mobo or cpu change basically makes the warrently invalid.

cool...

I would definately check the ram... Like I said, with a new mobo (obviously, depending on what you get) you might have to get DDR2 (unless you already have that) instead of DDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom