Installing TWO internal Hard Drives in the same Computer System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyoro

Baseband Member
I've been searching google like crazy on how to install a 2nd internal Hard Drive until i decided to join these forums.

so.. i recently have a 120 Gigabyte Hard Drive. It's too small for me. (that's just me. don't ask.) I want to install a 2nd Hard Drive on the same Computer System. For example, if i open Windows Explorer and navagate to "My Computer" i want there to be two Local Disks that are internally installed. (a C: and a D: or B: whatever it is) i'm planing on getting a 200 Gigabyte for my 2nd internal Hard Drive but i want to make sure i can install two.

so can anyone help me with this?

here are some other specs of my comp.
- im running on an ASUS Motherboard
- 1 Gigabyte RAM

i want a good internal Hard Drive that is 7200 RPM with at least 6 MB cache.

much help appreciated.

It will work, and any drive should work, most drivers today are typcially 7,200 RPM

but Im not sure what you have to do in order for you to use second one as storage, the one you boot off of has to master and the 200 Gig one is slave.

i should be able to configure which internal drive i want to boot from. my 120 Gigabyte has my OS installed (Windows XP Pro)

anyways. does anyone know how i would actaully install another internal for more storage and easy access? does it matter what kind of case my computer is in?

Well, your 120 gig one being it has the OS on it must be the master cause its the boot one.

You would install another harddrive in an open 3.5 In Drive bay ontop of or under your other Harddrive, should be under since I usally connect slave to second IDE slot and the Master on the first one. I never had A second drive so i don't know how u would accewss it or whether or not it needs to be formated, I do know that your OS will see it as a separte drive in the disk managment tools.

also.. another factor i should add. my hard drive is protected inside a plastic case, but it's still connected to my comp. would i have to remove this plastic case? this case contains a fan or two. also, my 120 Gigabyte hard drive is located at the highest point of my computer tower.

the 200 GB is an external one?

Is this a prebuilt computer or did someone you know build it for you?

Prebuilt= Dell, Sony, Compaq, Etc.

the 200 gig ISNT an external. this was a pre-built comp but it doesnt belong to any brand.

I got my comp for $600 off ebay. heck if i remember who sold it to me back in March.

ill attempt to look for my computer on the internet.

Did you get any manuals or books with this computer?

If you didn't you may have to open case, look at the motherboard, near RAM slots and see if it says either DDR or DDR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom