Installing an SSD - Help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengjo

Baseband Member
Alright so I just built my computer, installed windows 7 and it works great.

What I didn't do was install the SSD.

I've connected it properly (hardware-wise), but I know it takes more than just connecting it's cables for it to work properly.

I've read around and I'm stuck.

I've read things such as you need to wipe your HDD and install windows directly to the SSD etc.

Basically I'm stuck and I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to link me to a "for dummies" guide or help me themselves?

I would be most appreciative.

I assume you're wanting to have a nice fast OS, yes? In which case, yes you need to install Windows 7 to the SSD.

Should I remove windows from the hdd first then?

Then disconnect it, install windows, connect the hdd and fix then the stuff in BIOS?

I'm not really following.

This might be a little big of a thing to ask, so if you think it's too much just don't help. I would understand you. :big_grin:

Info:
I have installed windows 7 and a couple of things (ex: steam, skype, winrar, stuff like that) to my HDD. I haven't yet done anything with my SSD.

I want to use my SSD for a faster boot speed and for windows to run faster etc. (Normal things, I guess?)

What do I do, step by step, in order to do this? Use both the SSD and the HDD. Preferably in a way that an idiot, such as myself, can understand.

I have searched up guides, but none of them seem to suit my needs.

I understand some of you might be thinking "why does an idiot like him even buy stuff like ssds", but hopefully I will learn and with time become something more than just an idiot. :)

Again, help is very much appreciated.

1. Unhook all your HDDs
2. Pop the Win 7 DVD in, install 7 to SSD
3. After you first get fully into the 7 desktop, shut down.
4. Re-attach your HDDs
5. Format your previous OS HDD.

I've read about SSD's and firmware. Should he check if he needs to update that, because I'll soon be getting my parts in to build my own computer.

Depends on which manufacturer and which SSD. If he gets an OCZ Vertex 3 or Agility 3, chances are he will need to update the firmware like I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom