Installing RAM which was Removed from a Laptop

MNOPYZ

Beta member
Hey there! I should probably say this up front, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

I've recently removed Two 1 GB RAM cards from a laptop of mine that stopped working.
It was going off to the garbage can when I realized that alot of its parts still work.

My current PC has only 2 GBs of RAM, so I was thinking of installing the RAM that I took out of my Laptop into it.

And so, my questions are:
  1. What's the worst that could happen if my PC is incompatible with my Laptop's RAM cards?
  2. Is there anything else to worry about other than incompatibility when installing RAM which was removed from a different Computer?
Thanks in advance!

Your current PC would have to also be a laptop. Laptop RAM is not compatible with a desktop computer.

Your PC would also have to be compatible with the other laptop's type of RAM - i.e. DDR2 or DDR3 most likely. Both are different and they will not physically fit in the slot of one another.

So, no chance at all, huh?

Oh well, thanks alot for your help!

EDIT: One last thing, do Hard drives have a compatibility thing as well?

Last edited:
Well laptop drives are 2.5" and desktop drives are 3.5"

If you want to mount a laptop drive in a desktop, you'll need to get an adapter.

You'll also need to figure out if the laptop drive is SATA or IDE - either way, you'll need an adapter kit since the connection interface is slightly smaller than the desktop counterparts.

If you're not sure if it's IDE or SATA, post the model # of the HDD.

I checked, it's SATA.
Anyways, I guess I'll just save the RAM and Hard Drive for something else then :/

Not much you can do with the RAM other than stick it on adverts, the adapters are like two quid on ebay so you can still get use out of the hard drive.

You can get an adapter for cheap but keep in mind that most laptop drives run at 5400 rpm, which will be slower than a 7200 rpm desktop drive

Back
Top Bottom