Installing a processor for my computer

kidmo87

In Runtime
Hey everyone, i have a e6300 processor. its an old computer that has 1.8ghz which is pretty low, especially in todays world.i bought a e8400 dual core processor that im trying to instal in my computer. I know its not as simple as putting it in. I understand that i need to make sure my bios is updated, but other than that, im really clueless. Its a dell, and i found the page where i can download an updated bios. But is it as simple as that? thanks everyone.

Depends on the board and chipset really. Does Dell have a CPU compatibility chart for your computer? If so, check to see if the e8400 is on there. If it is, then it is as simple as updating your bios.

yes, flash new bios then plug in the new processor. it would make most sense to reapply thermal paste to the HSF as you upgrade.

thanks. i just did it, bios updating perfectly. the latest bios dell had to offer for my pc was bios version 1.0.18 im not sure if you guys would know, but is the version high enough to accept e8400 processor. thanks

Back
Top Bottom