Installing a processor with heatsink attached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underworld1020

Beta member
Okay, I'm in need of help...serious help. I was cleaning a friend's computer out and I somehow moved the cpu while cleaning it's fan. The processor is now out and I can't figure out how to get it back in.

The problem is that the heatsink is attached to the processor. I can't put the processor in because the heat sink pushes the zif bar down before it even reaches the processor. Like I said I'm in need of desperate help, this is not my computer and I need to get it fixed in next few hours. What should I do?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

remove the heatsink, install processor, apply thermal paste, then install heatsink. should be simple... :)

Yes, as mentioned you need to CAREFULLY remove the CPU from the heatsink. After that, you need to clean BOTH the CPU heat spreader and the bottom of the heat sink with Q-tips and high purity isopropyl alcohol (that means look for the label with the highest % of isopropyl alcohol.) You can find isopropyl alcohol at your local grocery store near the rubbing alcohol & Hydrogen Peroxide, for about $1.00 or less.

I put a bit of the iso. alcohol into a small plastic dixie cpu, and clean that way so that I am not getting junk into the entire bottle.

Once it is clean, put on new thermal paste, and simply re-apply the heatsink.

here is a guide for refernce, just click on the CPU you are working with...
Arctic Silver Incorporated - Route to Product Instructions for Arctic Silver 5

Thanks guys.

I was really worried because I tried putting it in while the zif bar was down and I bent a bunch of pins. I put the pins back in place, and then used a hair dryer to loosen up the stuff and used a twisting motion to get it off. I tried pulling at first, but that didn't work. Anyways I got it all fixed in time and the computer works better than ever. It was overheating due to tons of dust.

Again thanks a million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom