Installing and Migrating to SSD

Eclipse7

In Runtime
Heya, I know there are a lot of guides out there for this topic and Ive researched and seen many guides, the problem for me is they arent specific enough and gloss over the details when the OP thinks its a simple part. And the physical installation of the SSD i am unsure of too, all I can find is old outdate guides talking about IDE ports.

So then, I actually got a great deal on a SSD recently from amazon, I never really planned on buying one but the price was good enough that I thought why not.

I have a 256GB Sandisk ultra plus. I have a lenovo 10117 mobo. I also checked sisoftware sandra lite and it says maximum sata mode is G3 / sata600. 2 channels, in use channels 2 @ 100%, port g3/ sata600, and port g1 / sata150.

I have 3 sata ports, not sure if they are all 6gbps or what, I didnt get a manual for my mobo and cant find one online.

So then, I know that I need to first make a backup incase something goes wrong. Then get a cloning software (ive got macrium reflect.) How am I supposed to clone over to the ssd? Should I hook it up to my pc (on which sata port, this is one of my main concerns) or should I get a sata to usb cable and do it that way?

All the guides talk about partitions, im not sure if I have any or if I need to adjust anything there when cloning. I can tell you that when I click my computer I only see my current hard drive in one chunk.

Okay, then once I have cloned to the ssd, what is my next immediate step, turn off computer and switch spots on the SSD and HDD so my SSD goes into sata 1?

Sorry for the many questions Ive never had multiple hard drives in one PC before.

And another dumb question, the physical installation of the ssd, do I simply need to plug in the sata cable or is there some power cable I need to plug in. My power supply has a few spare wires not being used in the tower now, will it be one of those or do I need to buy it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom