Installing Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancalime

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I am about to build a new computer (I have all the parts just didn't get to building part yet). The only problem so far though is with the installation of a hard drive. I have never built a computer before so I just want to get this cleared up before I start. I have already read multiple guides by the way but am still unclear. Well, I have purchased an OEM 80 GB Western Digital SATA Hard Drive. Since it is OEM all that came in the package was the hard drive itself and bubble wrap. It does not include a mounting rack and screws. I purchased the Raidmax Astro case , and am not sure if I need a mounting rack. If so, where would I get one? As for screws I do not know what screws are needed and if I have them or not. My case came with a bunch of screws but I know some of them are for installing the mobo. Are the others for the hard drive or do I need to go out and buy them?

A pretty newb problem I know, but any help would be appreciated. And if anyone can point me or post a thorough guide on installing the hard drive or even optical drive, I would truly appreciate that.

Thanks in advance! :)

No rack needed, you basically just need to take four screws and fix the drive into the lower 3-1/2" rack of your case there. Your case probably came with a couple of different sets of screws, one set with very narrow threads and one set with wider threads. You should use the wider-threaded screws for the hard drive, two on each side (you'll probably have to take off both sides of that particular case to do this).

The narrow threaded screws are used primarily for optical drives, which go into the 5-1/4" rack on the top half of your case, where the front holes are. After that you just connect the respective data and power cables to the drive. If you have more than one IDE device on a single IDE cable you'll want to make sure that one is jumpered as a master and the other as a slave, which is done by setting the plastic jumper on the backside of the drive.

Thank you for your response arcman. I do not seem to see what screws you are referring to. In the bag that came with my case (picture here ) there seem to only be two different types of screws, golden mounts, and red circular things. The two screws are either long or they are short but I cannot seem to differenciate between two long ones, they all look the same. I am just really confused which screws go where (since my case does not include any info on this) and also what the red circular things are for.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom