Installing a DVD/CDRW Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ioanni

In Runtime
Hi there I have a quick question on installing a burner drive. Now I know that you have to set the jumper to primary slave (since my current CD-Rom Drive is set to primary slave) then connect the Audio cable and the IDE ribbon cable. But do you really need to ground yourself before you begin the installation process? Also do you need somesort of burner software to burn files?

Windows has a built in burner software in explorer but you can't do much at all with it.

A program like Nero will do a lot more.

Just touch metal when you install the drive and you should be fine. Dvd drives are surrounded by a metal case so you shouldn't have a problem anyway.

Now is there really a minimum system requirement casue when I asked the same question regarding an external HDD users told me that you dont need min of 800 Mhz for an external HDD like the box say all you need is a 300 Mhz processor. So would it be the same for the DVD burner or a norma; CD burner?

The system requirements for both CD and DVD burner are the same. The software might run a little slowly though.

Wow, by looking at your sig, it appears an upgrade might be in order.....

Typcially, Burners (Retail) have software bundled with it. I think mine uses Roxio... and another I have uses Nero. I haven't burned anything in a while.

but I don't think that either of those programs will run on a processor that slow, unless you find a really old version.

Well for music burning Im just going to use media player or iTunes. For mp3's Im thinking drag and drop. For videos thats going to depend on what burner I put in, if I can run a dvd burner, casue ive seen some that say minimum of 800mhz processor while others don't, then I'm just going to use DVD Santa. A buddie of mine uses it and he does just over 1 gb of video in about 10 minutes. Mind you he has 256 MB of RAM and his pc is OC'd to 2.21 ghz.

Yeah I need an upgrade but hec why upgrade the system im going to get a new system for college so I'm just going to keep the money and wait a little bit longer. Right now I'm saving my money for my dream system,its going to cost me just a bit over 2 gran depending on what procesor I decide to put into it. But money is tight right now for my parents so Im making due with what I have like theres nothing wrong with that? it works fine, the software is all up to date. So I'm just making due with what I have. After I get my own computer I'll just replace the Hard Drive with a 40 gb hard drive at minimum, 'casue Ive herd that my mobo probably wont support more then 40-60gb for a hard drive, im going to put in 2 sticks of 256MB SD-RAM PC-133Mhz which is the max it supports (512 MB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom