Installing a Card Reader - Please Help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Installing a Card Reader - Please Help!

I'm in the middle of building a PC but I'm having problems installing the following card Reader

Hiyatek Black 20-in-1 Multifunction Card Reader With Fan Controllers 2x USB E-SATA - Ebuyer

I've located where to put the USB connections, e-SATA, Audio and the AV connector, but I'm not sure where to plug in the fans or the temperature sensor cables. In the manual it says:

- Connect the fan cables connector to your cooling fans
- Connect the temperature sensor cable connector from the panel to the corresponding head location (can anyone tell me where this is or what it looks like?)
- Connect the DC power cable connector to the PSU 4-pin connector (is that one of the connectors coming from the PSU?)

I've got the following motherboard:

ASUS P5N73-AM GeForce 7050 Socket 775 onboard Graphics 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

Please can someone help me install this and tell me where to connect the things too. Also there is a little connector that says

VCC
D-
D+
GND

Where do I connect that?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Default Re: Installing a Card Reader - Please Help!

Quote:
- Connect the fan cables connector to your cooling fans
Plug the fans into the controller directly. It should have two fan headers on it for this.

Quote:
- Connect the temperature sensor cable connector from the panel to the corresponding head location (can anyone tell me where this is or what it looks like?)
I'm not sure about this one. I tried downloading the manual for your motherboard but it's in some goofed up PDF that won't open for me. The answer should lie therein.

Quote:
- Connect the DC power cable connector to the PSU 4-pin connector (is that one of the connectors coming from the PSU?)
Yes. That should be a molex connector. It looks like this:

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 03-07-2009, 06:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Ok thanks :]

I've read up on the temperature sensors and apparently they need to be placed near the CPU. Some people have said put them where the thermal paste is, directly on the CPU and on the edge of the heatsink, and others have just said leave well alone from the placing them on the CPU as they can't take pressure or it's not good for them.

Do you recommend any place to put them?

I have 2, shall I put both near the CPU or one of the HDD?

I also have 2 fan controllers on the card reader but am unsure about how to get them to work and plug in!

I have taken a picture to illustrate the cables that plug into the fan slot on the card reader, and the 3 pin slot that needs plugging into the motherboard or where ever!

3 pin.jpg

This is a picture of one of the fan controller cables (there are 2 cables, one for each fan).

The cable that slots into the card reader has 3 wires coming from it - a yellow, red and black. At the end of that wire there is also another 3 pin slot but coming from that there are only 2 wires - a yellow and black. It looks to me like it is some sort of extention cable for it but it probably isnt! They are both 3 pin slots and the cable for the other fan controller is exactly the same.

Any ideas where to plug these into?

Also, there is another cable coming from the top of the card reader. It's stuck to the reader and can't be taken off. It's a slim 4 pin cable. I'll get a picture uploaded of that too.

On the top of it reads:

VCC
D-
D+
GND

Any idea where that goes?

Thanks for your help :]

EDIT: I think I've figured out how to work the fans! I had them plugged into the wrong slots from the card reader! I've got the Chassis fan in one but I can't put the CPU fan in one as that is a 4 pin and the fan controller slots are 3 pin. Are there any 4 pin to 3 pin converters or something which will be allowed me to controll the CPU fan?

I still don't know where to put the slim 4 pin cable though!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Photo-0011.jpg

This is the slim 4 pin cable that reads

VCC
D-
D+
GND

on the top of it.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

That is for usb. plug it into a usb header on your motherboard. That is how the reader communicates with your computer.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 03-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I don't have any USB slots available as 1 is being used for the 2 ports on my case and the other is being used for the 2 ports on the card reader :/ Although there is a slim 4 pin slot next to the USB but says CD on it. Would I be able to plug it into there?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yep looked at your motherboard manual and indeed there are only two. You will have to give up your case ones or the ones on the card reader. You would not be able to plug into the cd one.

Saw your other thread. Get the video working before you worry about this. You always want the first boot with the least amount of peripheries installed as possible.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Closed Thread