Installing 2nd HD help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleanpocket

Beta member
I recently built my first PC a few months ago and I still have my old Hard Drive from a previous rig which has some files I'd like to try to recover. I was just wondering if I could just simply install the old hard drive in the rig I'm using now and copy whatever files I need from it to my new drive? Or, is it not that simple to do? Advice will be appreciated...

Yep that is very possible. Just install it as usual and windows will notice the drive and assign a drive letter to it. You will then be able to access it like normal, even if it has windows installed on it.

I'm going to assume this is an IDE hard drive.. ;)

Also make sure that you check the manual for the hard drive (If you don't have the actual manual, you should be able to find one online) and check the position of the jumper on the back of the drive.. Since it was a MASTER drive in your original computer, it is likely that the jumper will be in the MASTER position.. If you intend to install the drive in a new rig as a slave drive, you will need to move the jumper to the appropriate position, otherwise you will get a conflict.. :)

It did not work like that for me. I put a new SATA HD in my computer and it recognized it as new hardware but nothing else happened.

Hey I had an episode 2 infact I am currently having it. basically i have installed a harddrive in my pc an additional one and now .............its all messed up.....my pc won;t function without the 2nd hardrive and im not sure why. everything is slow and its like my pc is dying ....ahhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom