installin a new mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

poetry8

Baseband Member
hi guys, i need your help. the pc i am workin with at the minute has a s**t cpu its a 450mhz p3. the mobo is a msi ms-6156bx. i have on my table now a ga-8simlnf rev 2.0 mobo and a 2.6ghz celeron cpu. how do i install a new mob and cpu? also at the minute my pc has a 20gig hdd as the master and a 80(which my current bios will only read 30gig of) slave hdd. when i tried to put the 80 at master the pc would not boot,but it did wen i set it to slave. how do i install the new mobo and processor and set the 80gig hdd to master to run everythng from there, while putting the 20 as slave. also is there any way i can rescue the data on my hdd. i dnt want to lose it but i fear if i format the hdd wen i install the xp disk again it will get rid?

The reason your PC wouldn't boot with the 80GB as the master is because it's trying to boot off the 80GB (since you set it to master) and your OS installation is on the slave (the 20GB). I'm not sure if you can change a setting to have it boot off the slave. Just back up your data on another drive if you need to reformat.

ah i see how tht would work. ok so if i bk up everything onto the 20gig then fit the new mobo and cpu and connect the 80gig as master and leave the 20gig unconnected once i have everythng running and i have reinstalled xp onto the 80gig,how do i get the data back off the 20gig once i reconnect it? doesnt it ask me to format it?

ok i thnk i will be ok with tht. but now i just need to install the new mobo and processor. do i need any software to install these? i dnt have any as i took the mobo and cpu from another pc. do i need any drivers for them? how should i install. should i just install the mobo with the 20gig as master then once it is all up and running then replace the hdd's?

You may need to get some drivers for the motherboard chipset, but XP probably has built in ones that are fine. You also may need to get drivers for your ethernet card, sound card, video card, and modem. Most drivers are still easy to get online you just have to know what you have. If the system will still boot go into device manager and write down all the model numbers.

ok so if i google the mobo on this pc now and save all the drivers for the mobo chipset,and ethernet card to disk. can i install them from that disk once the new mobo is fitted? also the sound and graphics are onboard,do i still need the drivers for them? please can anyone give me a total step by step guide on how to replace the mobo and set up all the drivers and stuff?

This Site will have everything you need. The auto update page works really well as well. Just make sure you have the ethernet drivers before you start (if you have them then you can visit the auto update page and let it do all the work) Gigabyte IMO has the best and easiest site to find drivers for any model they make

Side Note , Your board may be OEM what kind of computer did it come out of????

http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1741

it came from a packard bell ixtreme 6052. ok so if i go to the giga byte website and download the drivers for the ethernet card.burn them to disk.install the new mobo and power up.once the system is running put the disk in for the ethernet drivers and use them. once tht is done go to the gigbyte website and install the otherr drivers from there?

OEM ehhh,,, well You may have problems with the ethernet drivers but they might work it looks like they are realtek. Go into device manager and get the model number And I can look it up for you. Burn all the drivers if you like to a cd then you will allways have them. That will be the only way to make sure you have the proper drivers for sure. I am going to go look up some info on that Packered bell.

Edit - Ok I found the info on that system These drivers will work for sure (well as long as you are sure of the model number) Man they have a great site as well, very slick.

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?pn=P851008201&t=2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom