installation of new MB -- XP concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglytobone

Solid State Member
So I got my computer built & up and running with Windows XP. A week later the MB crashes. I decide to replace it with something better. What's the best way to proceed? Do I need to wipe the harddrive or will I be able to boot to XP right away? Any other concerns?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

use Norton Ghost or something to retain its settings and put in your new board..

also if your putting the "new" board, is it the same one as you replaced (RMA? ) or is it a new board because if its the same board, then you just put the HD back into the new board..

With the new board you simply reinstall Windows. You don't have to wipe the entire drive. Since that's a different model you now have to install the drivers/software for that board as well as see Windows activated again. That's a major hardware change there.

With the Vista the process is even more stringent. When the first board on the new build here quit after the first 3 days the replacement was identical and both XP and Vista would seemingly boot up normally. But Vista then saw the "you may have a counterfeit copy of Windows" message in a constant popup and in the corner of the desktop and no updates could be downloaded. XP was then reinstalled and MS got a call about Vista.

use Norton Ghost or something to retain its settings and put in your new board..

also if your putting the "new" board, is it the same one as you replaced (RMA? ) or is it a new board because if its the same board, then you just put the HD back into the new board..

It will be a totally different MB.

Thanks.

Even with the identical board you would have to have Windows at least reactivated. But being a different board altogether you have to remember the hardware profile created when first installing Windows as well as the different set of drivers for the board.

Being that this was seen on a new build the drive won't need a wipe since you haven't had time to see any clutter. The installer will clean up from the first install by simply deleting the Windows and Docs+Settings folders. It's the nuisance more then anything.

me either... I swap HDD's throughout 3-6 different computers so far... just checking hardware before trying to fix up. never got the counterfeit winXP message

This is now seen on Vista as MS improved the hardware profiling process where one thing brings up flags. Here it was simply a swap of identical boards that saw that come when the first one quit fast.

Both versions of Windows seemed at first to run normally until you couldb't download anything at the MS update site. XP by that time needed to be reinstalled due to Creative's auto web updater downloading Vista drivers onto XP. :rolleyes:

When Vista saw that message come up at reaching the desktop in a popup and seeing it in the corner I made the call to MS about that. But eventually I may end up having to reinstall Vista too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom