install a new HD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdansjr

In Runtime
I'm getting a new HD today. I have 3 system recovery cds, not an actual copy of Windows CD. When i plug in the new hard drive and fire up the computer and put the recovery disk 1 in, will that work with my new hard drive? Currently my hard drive is partitioned so that 15 GB is the "C" drive and 45 is the "D" drive. So will i need to partition the drive after i install it and reinstall windows? I'm a total newbie to all of this. I've been reading a lot about this issue, and i'm still kinda lost. Also, my current HD is 60 GB. WIll my computer recognize a new 80 GB HD?

I'm afraid that won't work because the recovery discs are only for the HD that it originally came with.

So I wont' be able to get a new HD. It's knocking right now....crap that was my last attempt at fixing this old one...now i'll need to get a new computer...crap

So i just called a number for Sony and I was told as long as i can get a HD that is the same size as the existing one, the recovery cds will work. I may give it a shot

So in my last post i stated that I spoke with Sony supprot and was told that I needed to get a 60 BD harddrive in order for the recovery disks to work. If the recovery disks work, why couldn't I just get an 80 GB drive and be done with it? The reason i'm asking, is because from my searching, i'll have to special order a 60 GB from a manufacture. I'd rather just go to a local store and pick up an 80 Gig.

Well, I'm pretty sure that those recovery discs are only partial to you're motherboard/component setup. I highly doubt that if you change the HD that it wouldn't let you install. I would definitely get the same brand though.

This is my theory:

Say you buy a dell (I chose dell only because I know they give you a recovery disc rather than an OEM windows xp), they hand out the same disc for just about every model. So what would be the difference between using it on a 60gb comp or an 80gb comp.

Anyway, I bought a non-computer-specific dell recovery disc online for my parents dell since they lost their disc. It worked like a charm, so I doubt that those discs are HD Specific (only if you get the same brand)

Thanks for the info Bmitchell....The guy i got on the phone at Sony tech support stated that it didn't need to be the same brand...i went and got a western digital HD....well see tonight if it works...My fingers are already crossed.

You do realize that Tech support people for almost any product are pretty ignorant. They could just be making it up.

BUt try it, and if it doesn't work, its time for you to aquire a NEW Copy of XP.

You could also Try to Copy over an image of your old HD using Ghost or something.

So i installed the new hard drive and used the recovery cds. THe recovery disks reformated the entire drive, and even partitioned the drive so that C drive had all of the OS stuff and the rest of the drive went to D. Thanks for all the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom