Inspiron 6400 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Inspiron 6400

Hi everyone,
I just registered here looking for advice from some experienced people. I'm planning on buying myself a laptop around the $1000 range, I can spend more if I think I like the laptop enough. I've been looking at the Dell Inspiron 6400s with the 15.4" screen on the Dell website and I think that I like these. Which one is the one to get though? The cheap one there doesn't have the Intel Core 2 Duo processor but just a regular old Intel Core Duo. Is the 2nd version that much better than the first? I am always multi-tasking so I'm thinking that the middle one is the way to go. I can't tell the difference between that one and the high-end one other than it's $200 more.

Are these good computers anyways? Should I be looking at other options from other companies? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I'm not a fan of Dell at all. Try configuring the same laptops over at www.hp.com and www.compaq.com. They tend to be better and are reasonably priced. Plus they don't blow up

Old 09-15-2006, 02:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Dell laptops do not just 'blow up' you just need to check on the dell website if your laptop is affected by the battery re-call.Also i would go with the core 2 duo.You'll see the differnce .
so my advice go with the exspensiver dell.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

dell laptops are pretty good in general - not so much the dell desktops.

i would recommend the C2D as well.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Inspiron 6400

Quote:
Originally posted by Bang Train
Hi everyone,
I just registered here looking for advice from some experienced people. I'm planning on buying myself a laptop around the $1000 range, I can spend more if I think I like the laptop enough. I've been looking at the Dell Inspiron 6400s with the 15.4" screen on the Dell website and I think that I like these. Which one is the one to get though? The cheap one there doesn't have the Intel Core 2 Duo processor but just a regular old Intel Core Duo. Is the 2nd version that much better than the first? I am always multi-tasking so I'm thinking that the middle one is the way to go. I can't tell the difference between that one and the high-end one other than it's $200 more.

Are these good computers anyways? Should I be looking at other options from other companies? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I just ordered a 6400. Mine has

core 2 duo 1.66

2 gigs ram

256 ATI Radeon video card

For 1119$ canadian before tax. I originally was going to get the 1300 but said whatever lets get the core 2 with 2 gigd. Video card could be better but its nearly the best dell offers. Hopefully it holds up...im not a hardcore gamer anyway so im sure this will serve me well.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I am pretty happy with mine, and I'll recommend using Acer, as you'll get more bang for your bucks. rest your choice. people would pay anything for the brand.

XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Sony DVD-RW
Closed Thread