A inquiry about the GTX 1070 and 1070Ti for 1440p

MadmanRB

In Runtime
So this Friday is black Friday, and I know there are going to be sales on some GPU's such as the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra silent Gaming model which will dip to $350 or so (a steal at that price) However this being black Friday I am worried about it being sold out so I need a fallback. Now there are bound to be some GTX 1070's (non Ti's) on sale but I wish to know if its still going to be worth it as I am upgrading from a GTX 1060 6GB and the gap between the 1060 and 1070 not that large and I need something good at 1440p. I am fully aware that the 1070Ti is just a slightly inferior 1080 but there are no 1080's going on sale as far as I know and finances dictate i have to go to a certain limit. $350.99 is a good deal on the 1070Ti and will be within my $400 budget (as I cant buy now with taxes involved on amazon as normal price for that EVGA card is $399.99 plus tax will take my bill up to $426 a bit too steep for me)
Now yes I am fully aware I can just go on ebay and get a used card but I dont trust Ebay.
Thanks to the crypto mining craze I'm a little bit wary of pre-owned graphics cards right now because that graphics card could have been torn up by mining ethereum or whatever. I mean I could look on Amazon but that's as far as I'll go, trust me I would be on eBay right now if I trusted going there.
I would wait til next year but Trumps tariffs will make everything expensive.

Last edited:
Honestly a 1070ti isn't enough of a warrant to bump from 1060 at that price. I would see about selling your current card to make up the difference for a 1080 if at all possible. I haven't seen used mining cards locally since like July, I don't really think that's much of an issue anymore and most cards like 1080ti that you'll see going for around 500 are going to be people selling their gaming cards for RTX cards.

Yeah but i dont have another graphics card and my processor does not have a APU (its a Ryzen 7 1700)
And again I dont trust Ebay, even if I found a cheap 1080 or 1080Ti on ebay i would not buy it.
Yes I have seen a 1080 and a 1080Ti on ebay for around the same price but I dont want to go there, thats a lot of money to lose in a website known for its dodgy sellers.
Even if the seller has a good reputation I still rather not go to ebay.
The 1070 Ti is fine with me as if it goes on sale I think i will be happy, I am not going 4K.
The 1080 is still pricey too, some selling well over $500 I dont have that kind of money.
I have to do right for my budget and rather not wait, graphics cards are supposed to rise in price soon and Trumps tariffs wont help.
Even mid range cards will go up thanks to tariffs

I am just doing this as I know i can get the 1070 Ti for a good price in my budget, $400 is my max.
I am just asking if i had to get the 1070 instead would it be worth it as the Ti can sell out.
I still may get the 1070 regardless as Trumps tariffs will be an added on 30%.
Most GTX 1070's cost 350 or so but add in a 30% tariff on top of my state taxes will take it up over $400

I just want something that will be okay at 1440p as my 1060 cant cut it.

Last edited:
Don't confuse etailer gouging for tariffs. We've seen a lot of fear mongering on the tariffs but there's still a ton of 2 year old 10 series stock that's already here on US soil that they want to get rid of before 20 series mainstream comes out. We won't see the real effect of what the tariffs might be until late next year and 2020, but that being said companies are already moving manufacturing to other areas that won't be affected by tariffs. Our biggest issue in the GPU market pricing wise right now is just the absolute lack of competitive market in the upper mid and high end segment causing these cards price drop to stall.

That being said I would not consider a 15-20% increase worth $350 out of my pocket and that number will vary greatly depending on game. We're talking 5-10 frames difference here. The 1070ti on the other hand is so close to the 1080 that it makes it a somewhat decent upgrade for 1440p.

Well that is the main reason I want the 1070Ti as its not too far off from the GTX 1080, I am just asking if the GTX 1070 goes on sale and is my only other option is it a good fallback?
I like to have a fallback if this doesnt work out.
Anything that is better than my GTX1060 is welcome but it has to be reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I mean I understand that the 1070Ti wont be that big of a leap but overclocked I know it can be just as good as a 1080.
I mean it sure beats some of the crazy prices this year with GPU's with even the 1050Ti going up to $250 during the cryptomining craze.
Heck even the GTX1060 went up to nearly $500 and prices on GPU's have yo-yoed since then.
I rather jump and take advantage as I know the GTX 1070 Ti isnt worth some of its prices (I have seen some cost more than a 1080) but while there is this sale going on I would be foolish not to consider it.
Maybe one day i will own a 1080Ti or even A RTX card or even GASP a AMD gpu! but tomorrow sure as heck wont be that day.

I was speaking in terms of the upgrade to a 1070 rather than a 1070ti.

That being said I would not consider a 15-20% increase worth $350 out of my pocket and that number will vary greatly depending on game. We're talking 5-10 frames difference here.
That was in reference to a 1070.

Okay now that makes sense.
I mean i have seen some GTX 1070's on sale too and even if its not as good if the GTX 1070ti sells out at least I have at least something to fall back on.
It may not be too much better but certainly better at 1440p (depending on the game)
Even the 1070 will de as again reflecting on some of the insane prices on them earlier this year its a steal at some of the rates i have seen (I saw one as low as $325) and sure as heck still better then the craziness of earlier this year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom