Inexpensive Dual Fan 585W PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
OCZ 500w is like $25 after rebate.

But you know not every cheap power supply will blow up, its just more likely to, compared to higher end powersupplies. I ran a $20 500w dynapower for 2 years on a highly overclocked system. It was listed as not even having enough power to meet the recommended requirements of my video card which was overclocked. But yet I never had a problem with it.

Plus tons of prebuilts have very low end supplies that last a long time. My uncles 9 year old Compaq still works and so does his nearly 20 year old whatever the heck the thing is (well haven't used it in like 3 years but it was working). My mom has a ~12 year old computer that still works. My sisters 6 year old dell finally died but the whole computer is a huge dust ball inside so no surprise.

I don't recommend skimping especially since you don't really save much in intial costs. But in a low end build you can get away with it. Just beware that it could damage other parts when it blows up.

I'm hoping my 700w OCZ lasts me. I think it passes the weight test since it weighs like 10lbs lol.

It all depends on the load put on the power supply.

Put a 500watt load on a cheapo case psu rated for 600watts and it will blow. Put the same load on a pc power and cooling, corsair, or antec and itll run it easily.

so get like a really cheap 1000w power supply and you will be good to run up to 700w?
just joking, yeah I agree, I went with a rosewill rp550 and the thing is decent, but next time I am going to get better. Also, with more expensive power supplies, you get less fluctuation.

The pc&p 750 or corsair 750 are still probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to power supplies. 80 bucks for a quality 60 amp single rail psu? Now if i could only find a 1k+ psu that wont cost me 300 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom