Im new to the building business

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramp1028

Beta member
I have 3 old pc's and an old laptop.

I'm wanting to build a computer that will be able to store pictures mostly with high video capablility. Gaming is not a priority.

I have three questions

1) Are some laptop parts interchangeable with PC's, if so which ones..

2) How do I tell what parts I have? three of the comps arn't in working mode.

3) Would I be better off starting from scratch?

1.I don't think so most desktop's and laptop's have their components do to the way they are designed. If you have accessories for your laptop that can be used with a desktop thats workable most of the time.

2.Get a screw drive and take off the side panel of the door of the computers and have a look inside... ;)

3.Yes if you want build your own pc also the people here we'll be happy to help pick and choose parts, but I recommend that you get familiar with computer components and start looking at the guides here and use google if you get curious about computer problems, issues or the latest news with technology. :)

1.I don't think so most desktop's and laptop's have their components do to the way they are designed. If you have accessories for your laptop that can be used with a desktop thats workable most of the time.

2.Get a screw drive and take off the side panel of the door of the computers and have a look inside... ;)

3.Yes if you want build your own pc also the people here we'll be happy to help pick and choose parts, but I recommend that you get familiar with computer components and start looking at the guides here and use google if you get curious about computer problems, issues or the latest news with technology. :)

1. That's what I thought.
2. I have all the parts out. I guess I'm wondering on how to tell what they are as opposed to upgrading. Such as the best cpu I got is a pentium 4. But I'm not sure what one of them is.
3. This is what I've been doing. And I really would like to integrate some of what I have with newer stuff. My budget is developing.

Better off starting from scratch, for sure. What kind of budget are you looking at?

My budget is developing, which is why I want to pick and choose the parts from my existing comps that I can use, and then spend the money on the parts that I need to upgrade.

I have a decent case. A monitor. mostly what I need is hardware.
I really don't want to spend alot of money, but if I had to nail it down... 400$ sounds about right.

Although my wife would rather I spend that on her a new laptop. Which is why I would like to get a 800$ dollar machine out of the parts I have and a few upgrades and then be able to buy her a laptop as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom