I'm looking to replace my motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnanimous Moe

Beta member
I have a compaq presario 5410US and it's just not cutting it.
All I ask from my computer is to be able to play World of Warcraft, but I just meet the system requirements for ram at 512MBs and there is nothing I can do about it because that is what this PC tops out at.

The game runs but not too well, I get some pretty hefty lag when I enter the major cities or whenever I come into an area where there's a lot of activity. Lots of lag in battlegrounds too.

Buying a new computer isn't an option right now and I'm hoping it isn't necessary because the game requirements aren't exactly much and I prefer to play video games on my xbox 360 anyway.. I just want to run WoW on respectable settings without my system throwing fits.

So I'm looking into replacing my motherboard. I've never really done anything hardware wise with a computer except for replacing ram, installing a video card, and installing a hard drive.
Replacing the motherboard seems like it would be a pain.
I don't want to buy something and then realize that I wasted my money because it is incompatible with half of my system.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for as to size, sockets, and such? Also if anyone knows of a guide that could walk me through doing this, that would be great.

Maybe a recommendation on what board to buy too?

Also want to note that I have a Visiontek Radeon 9550 (128 AGP) card that I want to keep... I'll replace it if necessary though.

also you might want to consider getting a better card, just because your card is pretty low on the wow requirements, maybe like a 7600 or something of the like, and you can pick them up for pretty cheap now a days

Just noticed the motherboard I suggested, doesn't have any AGP slots.....because of socket 370 motherboards (which I assume, is the socket of the Compaq's) being rare, I would suggest that you save up. I mean you have your 360 to hold you over for gaming. Save up a couple hundred bucks, and you can get parts that are up to date, that will run through WoW like butter.

also you might want to consider getting a better card, just because your card is pretty low on the wow requirements, maybe like a 7600 or something of the like, and you can pick them up for pretty cheap now a days
Hey, you're from NH? Cool, Manchester here.

How much do you guys think it would come up to for everything?
I'm looking to stay at/under $200.00

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc71/optimusprimex84/cpu.jpg
^The screenshot for the CPU

Jeez, I knew it was pathetic but not that bad... Wow. Is there any hope for me?

depends what you want to do. you can fit a mobo and ram easily into the 200 range, and a gfx card could be a bit trickier but sill possible.

70 bucks Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

45 bucks, 25 after MIR Newegg.com - PC CHIPS P53G LGA 775 VIA P4M900CD Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

20 bucks Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail

70 bucks, 50 after MIR Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H260PRQT512DDN-R Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

205 not including shipping, and 165 after MIR :D

and i'm down in lovely ye ol' amherst :D

Wow, nice finds. Newegg is amazing.

Would I have to worry about anything like CD Drives, hard drives, being incompatible?

For under $200 you can get:

Processor - AMD Athlon X2 4000+ 2.1GHz
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G
Memory - 1GB G. Skill DDR2-800

Your graphic card won't work with this combo, but the integrated graphics on the motherboard I suggested, is more powerful than your's. All in all, this will be so much better than what you're using now, and can play WoW easily. Comes to around $190. Although, what Peter suggested is a good choice too.

You can use your current CD and hard drives with the new parts. You just have to reinstall Windows is mostly it.

no problem, yeah either setup is fine, the board that b1 suggested is loads better and has really good onboard gfx, which might be a better idea with the 250w psu. so yeah either one is a great buy for what you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom